The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 26, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
RMC51

Need info on shot timers

I am looking at buying a shot timer. who has information on the different models,

Pocket pro
Pact
CED
Old May 29, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Dodge DeBoulet

I have some experience with the CED, having used it as an official at the rifle stage of a 3-Gun competition recently. Our rifle stage required switching between countdown and Comstock mode for each shooter, and I found it to be laborious. The CED does not have an independent PAR setting for each mode, so I would time the "Mad Minute" (100yds, IDPA practice target, 40 rounds with 10 each from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions, mandatory mag change) with a PAR of 60 seconds, then have to clear the PAR when switching to Comstock for the "Run and Gun" section so I wouldn't get another beep at the 60 second mark.

Battery life was great, though, and the display was quite visible in variable lighting conditions. Start/Review button action was positive, and it was otherwise reliable. The beep was very loud, easily heard by shooters with 30db earplugs.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard