The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 5, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1
NWdude83

Whats your favorite AR magazine

Do you like polymer, aluminum, or steel? 10, 20, or 30rd? Any particular manufacture? Favorite magazine color? Were there any that you were dissapointed with? Any that you want to try but havent yet?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
RedNeckWino

I have several makes. Can't say any are the best brand. I like the ones that feed consistently. Absolutely hate the plastic ones. In my rifle they have a hard time feeding in the Northern Michigan winter. The one I have that I consider my best is a 20rnd one from my army days back in '89. Works as good now as it did then. Just missing most of the finish now.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3
rjrivero

I'm a Pmag guy. They just plain work. I have a couple aluminum ones, but far and away, Pmags make it out to the range with me 99.9% of the time. The others just collect dust.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
DBLAction454

Magpul Pmag
Old May 7, 2011, 12:53 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

Magpul Pmags, hands down. They are the absolute smoothest loading and feeding mags.

I have various milspec aluminum, C-Products stainless steel, PMags. For aluminum I really like the Brownell's with PMag follower. They are consistently top quality and I would choose them second to PMags. I have retrofitted all my D&H and NHMTG aluminum mags with Magpul followers.

I have several 20-rd PMags in different colors I use for loading up different handloads when testing them at the range (black, OD, flat dark earth, foliage green). 20-rd mags are also lower profile for shooting from a bench rest.

For the 30-rd version I like the ones with a round count window. You don't see the rounds themselves until you get over 20 rounds, but a orange mark on the spring shows you the relative compression implying how full the mag is loaded.

If I was starting out I would get at least a couple of the 20-rd PMags, a couple Brownell's, and however many 30-rd PMags.

Lots of places carry these nowadays, but in the dark days of the last shortages www.44mag.com had one of the best inventories and lowest prices for both PMags, milspec aluminum and Magpul followers and springs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 7, 2011, 09:53 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Magpul PMag series, countdown format...

I do not own or shoot any M4/AR type rifles at this time but I've seen a lot of good reviews/remarks about the Magpul P Mags & the company.
I'd also say the HK 416 magazines have a lot to offer but they are difficult to buy in the USA & cost a lot.

I saw a cool tactical AR rifle mag here; www.UScav.com . They sell a magazine that counts down the remaining rounds & has a red/green/yellow color chart so you can tell at a quick glance if you are going low.

As for colors, I'd use the OD green or the "flat Earth" type colors. They would seem to hold up better in places like the US southeast or in SW Asia.
It's rare to see solid or flat black on any PSC or military small arms today.
Many US SWAT & LE teams use the digital camo or multi-cam uniforms too.

ClydeFrog
Old May 8, 2011, 02:21 AM   #7
NWdude83

Cool. I just picked up a 20rd OD green Pmag, and a 20rd "smoke" Lancer L5 (read in another forum that they were a little better than Pmag). Wanted the new opaque black and thats what I ordered, but they (Rainier Arms) didnt have it.
Old May 8, 2011, 08:48 PM   #8
thump_rrr

Magpul Pmags. 30 rounders riveted to 5 rounds.
!@#$%^& Canadian laws
Old May 8, 2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Coot_Commander

I've shot both aluminum and steel magazines. I've also used the gun manufacturer mags and $7 cheapo mags. At this point I have had no issues with any of them. Granted I have only put about 500 rounds through each so I don't know about life.
I would consider what position you are going to shoot from and what your rest is when picking quantity of rounds per mag. If you are going to shoot from a bench with a low rest then you are not going to want anymore than a 20 round mag because it will stick out the bottom further than your gun and won't give you a good resting point. Nor do you want your gun resting on the mag.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:52 PM   #10
NWdude83

Forgot to say I also picked up a couple 20rd AR Stoner steel mags after reading some good reviews on Midway. (20rd mags suit my needs better than 30rd mags)
Old May 9, 2011, 10:26 PM   #11
bassfishindoc

I own two aluminum 30 round mags by NHMTG, Hartford, CT that came with my AR. Other than that all I use are PMAGs in OD and Foliage green.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old May 10, 2011, 11:04 PM   #12
SauerJackson

I've used, and liked, all the steelys n aluminum mags. Have a few smoke Lancers I really like. But I had heard all these good things about Tapco mags, and the two plastic 30rounders I picked up were just pure crap! They don't even fit in the mag wells of 3 different ARs without an unreasonable amount of force-like the kind of force you would use to upper cut someone into next week! Then naturally, they don't feed reliably after squeezing in there either....
Old May 11, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13
yournodaisy

HK steel mags with cromed followers. Expensive but what is your life worth?
Old May 14, 2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Lurch37

I have a bunch of G.I. Aluminum ones from various makers and they work fine. Lately I've been using Lancer's and really like them.
Old May 14, 2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Pinky Carruthers

Most of mine are old GI aluminum mags with the black and green followers, no problems so far. I also have a couple Lancers and one Pmag that work great also.
SOM
Old May 14, 2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Boberama

LAR-15 10-rounders.

For obvious reasons.

-Boberama
Old May 16, 2011, 09:35 PM   #17
ritepath

pmag 30's and 20's....The only metal mags I have are the ones that come with my AR's
Old May 17, 2011, 08:46 AM   #18
TChase

20rd PMAGs for me!