The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 27, 2014, 10:31 PM   #26
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Typically situations play out like so,

Boss to media- "They acted vigilantly. They acted bravely."

Boss to Hero- "Thank you for saving everyones life. However, this is a gun free workplace. We have to let you go."
Glockstar, I'm curious -- can you cite any actual instances in which this happened?
Old July 27, 2014, 11:48 PM   #27
kilimanjaro

I've heard of some store clerks and delivery folks who have been let go after thwarting a robbery or assault, can't cite a place or time, may be apocryphal.

Part of me says, "I hope the hospital fires him", thusly creating a national revulsion against stupid gun policies, but he should keep his job if he still wants it, says the other part of me.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:20 AM   #28
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Boss to Hero- "Thank you for saving everyones life. However, this is a gun free workplace. We have to let you go."
Apparently not, in this instance:

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/doctor...d-by-hospital/

Color me optimistic, but this could be a turn-around for some corporate "wisdom" on firearms.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 29, 2014, 04:40 PM   #29
Glockstar .40

Quote:
Glockstar, I'm curious -- can you cite any actual instances in which this happened?
Vanya sure here ya go. Havent shopped at autozone since.

www.theblaze.com/.../autozone-employee-and-veteran-fired-fo.
Old August 1, 2014, 01:43 PM   #30
GM1967

If the doctor does get into any trouble with the hospital over this incident, he should preface every response he makes with this phrase:

"If I had followed the policy, I would be dead now, and most likely so would a lot of other innocent people."

He should reiterate that every time he answer one of their questions, and every time he answers a question from the media. Over and over.

Enough repetition, and it might get through some thick heads.
Old August 1, 2014, 02:27 PM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

The hospital already released a statement saying they were happily awaiting his return to practice. So it looks like he will do OK there.

In addition, it appears he pulled off the whole thing with a Seecamp .32 that he pulled after the bad guy grazed the side of his head with a round. Some good nerves there.
Old August 2, 2014, 09:09 AM   #32
steve4102

If he is allowed to remain, I wonder if the Hospital will let him continue to carry his firearm against Policy?
Old August 2, 2014, 11:41 AM   #33
Double Naught Spy

I hope the hospital changes its policy...and as noted, that other businesses do as well.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:06 PM   #34
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I hope the hospital changes its policy...and as noted, that other businesses do as well.
OH, they will change something, that's a given. Odds are it will be just the opposite of what you hope for.

My guess is Metal detectors and increased security to start, then on to possible random searches of Office space and personal belongings.
Old August 5, 2014, 11:18 AM   #35
Glockstar .40

Quote:
H, they will change something, that's a given. Odds are it will be just the opposite of what you hope for.

My guess is Metal detectors and increased security to start, then on to possible random searches of Office space and personal belongings.
Unfortunately this probably will be the case
Old August 5, 2014, 08:28 PM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
OH, they will change something, that's a given. Odds are it will be just the opposite of what you hope for.
They didn't fire the guy, so already things are better than I hoped. From a policy standpoint, they probably should have fired him. He did knowingly break the rules and did so for an extended period of time. That they didn't fire him is very positive.
Old August 6, 2014, 12:12 PM   #37
BobCat45

I keep watching this thread for updates and every time I click on it, I remember the quote from the news report to the effect that the hospital was reviewing their security procedures and policies. It sounded almost as if they were going to revise their "no-guns" policy to "no guns unless you have a carry license" - but wishful thinking only works in children's stories...
Old October 9, 2014, 03:19 PM   #38
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski
The county DA's name is Whelan:
"As for Silverman, Whelan said that he believed it was the doctor's practice to carry a gun for self-protection and that he was in compliance with all state laws."
Was he?

According to PA law.

5122. Weapons or implements for escape.
(a) Offenses defined.--
(1) A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he unlawfully introduces within a detention facility, correctional institution or mental hospital, or unlawfully provides an inmate thereof with any weapon, tool, implement, or other thing which may be used for escape.

Was this Doctor in violation of State Law as well as Company Policy as he carried his firearm into a "mental Hospital"?

Is this case similar to the guy in Texas that just killed two bad guys in a Bar. Texas law states it is Illegal to carry in a bar, PA law says it's illegal to carry in a Mental Hospital, is there a difference?
Old October 9, 2014, 03:50 PM   #39
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Was this Doctor in violation of State Law as well as Company Policy ......as he carried his firearm into a "mental Hospital"?
If you do a quick web search you will find a couple of dozen hospitals listed as mental hospitals in PA. The hospital he was in is not described as one of them.

Many hospitals may have a mental health or behavior health wards but are not "mental hospitals."

The definition of "mental" hospital is important.

So no, he was not in violation of state law.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:14 PM   #40
Notanotherstatistic

Response to Vanya.

http://m.wmur.com/news/clerk-fired-a...obber/22454840

http://www.today.com/id/44483817/ns/...armacist-sues/

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...d-robbery.html

Happens more than you might think. I should ask: would the mods have issue with a corporate "calling out"?

I'll just start alphabetically. Hmm, this topic is thread worthy if it doesn't already exist...
Autozone
Shell
Walgreens

Please feel free to add to the list. It just may influence how some of us spend our money. Not that I'm calling for anything like that. Just good to be an educated consumer.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:45 PM   #41
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanotherstatistic

Response to Vanya...
Nope, you did not respond to Vanya's question. see post 26:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
Quote:
Typically situations play out like so,

Boss to media- "They acted vigilantly. They acted bravely."

Vanya has asked for documentation of a very specific set of facts: (1) company publicly praises the employee for his defensive actions; and (2) company fires the employee for violation of company policy.

You cite examples only of the employee being fired.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 20, 2015, 04:50 PM   #42
jmhyer

Well, since this old thread has now been resurrected, I will say this:
Just because the doctor was working in the hospital, that doesn't mean he was an employee of the hospital. While the landscape is changing, historically, doctors are either self employed or work for/with a group of doctors and simply have privileges to work in/admit patients to hospitals. You obviously cannot fire someone who is not your employee. Therefore, he may, by law, only have been able to be treated as a visitor that violated the weapons policy of the building he was in...at most (in most states) a misdemeanor charge.
Old January 20, 2015, 08:39 PM   #43
Dashunde

The link to the hospital's policy doesnt work anymore... but here it is:
http://www.mercyhealth.org/about/ven...de-of-conduct/

It says "vendors". I'm guessing he was some form of contractor?

This case is really a boon for us.. CC saves the days for most, and "no firearms" policies shown to be utterly useless.