The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 8, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1
hellsfire1989

new member, help ID shotgun

I'm a new member and just bought my first shotgun. Its definetly a pile of junk. But whatever. Its a union firearms Co. model 2-7 can't really figure out where the serial number is the only numbers I can find are M60 and below that it says 195 and under that it says 2-7 no other numbers on the while shotgun. I just need some info on it and maybe where to get some parts for it. Any information would be excellent. anyways thank for the help before hand

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarify title
Old May 8, 2012, 03:42 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

This may help http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...ledo-ohio.html
Old May 8, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
BigJimP

welcome ...but I have no idea how to help you on the gun you describe, sorry.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

FYI, in the U.S., prior to 1968, no federal law required serial numbers on firearms, and most of the less expensive guns didn't have them.

I can't find Union on my lists of "tradename" shotguns, but there was a Union Arms Co., of Toledo, OH, which made shotguns c. 1903-1913; maybe someone else can provide more information. In the 1880-1920 period, many gun makers, here and overseas (mainly Belgium), turned out inexpensive shotguns literally by the ton. Most were serviceable, but few were of anything approaching high quality. Hundreds of names were used - Cresent alone used over 100 trade names on orders from hardware stores, distributors, etc. At one time, anyone ordering as few as 10 guns could have any name he wanted put on them.

I think is a safe bet that parts will not be available, so I am afraid you have a wall hanger at best. I would suggest you not spend any time or money attempting to "restore" or repair that old gun.

Jim
Old May 8, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
PetahW

From the link above: