The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1
randersonabq

BataviaSpecial

My father-in-law gave me the old family shotgun. It's a Batavia Special made by the Baker Gun Co, 12 gauge, #153794. It looks to have steel, not damascus, barrels.
I took it apart; popped off the forearm and seperated the barrels from the receiver. I CAN'T GET IT BACK TOGETHER!!!
I'm not able to get the barrels to properly seat into the receiver. The extractors seem to be in the way.
Can anyone help me?
Old November 20, 2004, 12:36 PM   #2
K80Geoff

The Baker Batavia Leader, which is the proper name for the gun is unique among american made shotguns in that it, along with the LC Smith, are true sidelock action guns.

Sidelocks are prized by shotgunners and usually are found only in expensive British and euro guns.

The L C Smith is notorious amongst gunsmiths because if you fire the triggers with the barrels off you will have to use a special tool to reset the ejector rods to allow you to re assemble the gun.

Double gunsmiths have a real problem with this and L C Smiths.

I am not sure if the Baker has the same problem, but considering that the Baker is considered the ancestor of the L C (Or elsie) this might be the case.

Take the gun to a competent double gun gunsmith before you damage something.
Old November 22, 2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

this is taken from SXS's of the world 2k by Charles Carder, hope it will help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baker Gun Co W.H.-1.jpg (80.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Baker Gun Co W.H..jpg (192.1 KB, 48 views)