The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 4, 2002, 11:57 PM   #1
laynlow

Making pictures appear in posts

I have always used the IMG button and provided the url in the popup box. I host my photos at village photos and like them to appear in my posts. The problem is for some reason I am just getting a link to my picture instead of it appearing in my post.

Can someone tell me what's up?

Thanks,
Sam
Old November 5, 2002, 02:50 PM   #2
yankytrash

From Village Photos's FAQ:
Quote:
Inserting Images on Auctions, Bulletin Boards, or other Web Pages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you've viewing a full-sized image after selecting it's thumbnail from the album page, you'll see two lines of information in green at the top of the page.
The first line is the direct URL to the image you're viewing. That URL can be used anywhere on the internet, including auctions and bulletin boards, whenever am image URL is asked for.

The second line in green is the actual HTML tag you need to insert into a web page to make the image appear there. This would be used in the description field of an auction, or the body of a message post on a bulletin board.

Many bulletin boards do not allow image URL's with "querystring" information (the question mark followed by the image ID). In those cases, use the fourth line, the "Image URL for EZBoard Messageboards" URL. That URL is designed for compatibility with those boards.
Apparently, you're giving TFL's VB code too much to chew. Shorten the url as they suggest, and it should work. If not, give us a photo link and let us play with it.
Old November 5, 2002, 04:34 PM   #3
laynlow

Yanky,

I am just using the public url provided by village photos. That has always worked in the past. Here is a url of one of my photos to play with:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...asp?id_=926107

and using the IMG button:

Thanks for the help!

Sam
Old November 5, 2002, 06:37 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Testing

URL:
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...asp?id_=926107

IMG:

Known IMG:

You got me! I manually entered the codes and still no joy. As you can see the image code is working for a "local" image. Both the URL and IMG links for villagephotos work like a URL link. ?? Looking at the source for this page I see that the IMG line is not recognized as "img src =". Maybe there's something strange about the link name that throws the image code off. Brighter folks than me might know the answer.

Last edited by Mal H; November 5, 2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old November 5, 2002, 07:08 PM   #5
yankytrash

Here you go, already tested in your post over at the testing area of TFL if you wanna see my genius in action:

Put this: http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/944150.jpg
in between the image tags.

See what I did? I just put the cursor right in front of the number in the string, hit backspace until I got to the hash, then added a ".jpg" on the end of it.

Kinda clunky, but I'm a clunky kinda guy.
Old November 5, 2002, 07:39 PM   #6
laynlow

Interesting. I know what the problem is; for some reason TFL's software is having trouble with the querystring. Using the URL for EZboards works like Yanky's fix because it does not contain a question mark.

Village photos suggests this format:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/extern/944150.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it.
Old November 5, 2002, 08:26 PM   #7
HankL

[IMG]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/extern/944150.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by HankL; November 7, 2002 at 08:17 PM.