The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2001, 05:45 PM   #1
kv4v

I lost the yoke screw for my S&W M25-5 and ordered a new one. The new yoke screw is too long. When it is tightened down the cylinder will not open. My question is do I just file the end of the screw until the cylinder functions properly? The reason I ask is because I will change the shape of the end of the screw if I file it. This sounds like a stupid question even to me but....... Doc
Old March 25, 2001, 11:25 PM   #2
BBBBill

Don't understand what you mean by "change the shape." Current generation S&Ws have different yoke screws than the recent past. Current ones are like Colts (hollow screw w/ spring loaded plunger). Most common is the recent past generation which is the same as other round head sideplate screw except fitted to the yoke. It must be fit for length & diameter at the tip where it fits in the slot in the yoke to retain the yoke with minimum yoke endshake & no bind.
Old March 26, 2001, 07:25 AM   #3
kv4v

yoke screw

What I mean is that if I grind off the end of the screw the end will no longer be round, it will be flat. Will that work? Thanks. Doc
Old March 26, 2001, 08:17 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Doc, it should. But you can radius the end as you grind it to make it conform more to the original shape. George