The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 7, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Van Damme uses a pair of Navies in Assassination Games

Check out this link

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2237447936/tt1436568

I haven't seen the movie yet but I will soon. He may just use them in one scene. Hehe the ole smoke poles in a movie thats not a western
I can't tell from the pic but they may be '60 Army's too. Not sure But I swear on the cover of the movie the barrels look octagonal.

Last edited by deerslayer303; April 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
deerslayer303

From this site
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Assassination_Games
Its says they are Walker Colts, but in the picture on that site the guns look like they have latches on the front of the loading lever. And the trigger gaurds look rounded. Anyway I'm bored at work can't you tell?
Old April 7, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
egor20

According to IMFDB they're Colt Walkers.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Assassination_Games

Quote:
Vincent (Jean-Claude Van Damme ) uses a couple of Colt Walkers.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 8, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Hawg

One is a Walker, the other one probably is.
Old April 8, 2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

All....

Take another look at the close-up in the link in the second post.

They seem to have brass frames and also seem to be to small to be a Walker/Dragoon frame and grip.

Is it possible that they are G&Gs?
Old April 8, 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
deerslayer303

Doc, it does look that way. But I will watch the movie and commence with some slow motion, pause, and ZOOM ......its the little things that amuse me.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Hawg

In the first pic one appears to have no lever catch and the wedge goes in from the right side. In the second pic they both appear to have catches and the near one has the wedge going in from the left. In the first pic the one in his left hand appears to be a 51 Navy. I think it's the lighting making the CCH frames appear to be brass. Bottom line is none of the pics are clear enough to really tell.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Hawg

True enough.
Old April 8, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
deerslayer303

To be sure though they ARE cap n ball revolvers and to see em in a movie thats not a western is really cool to me.
Old April 8, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
emishi

Opinion

I'll wade in with my opinion... for what that's worth... ;p

Looking at the enlarged photos @ http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Assassination_Games the brass trigger guard is definitely, visibly a different color than the 'brass' colored frame, so I would have to agree that the lighting is to blame for the 'brass' coloring of the case-hardening... so no brassers.

Given the 'pin' front sight in the movie photo vs. the 'blade' front sight in the upper Walker photo, also given Mr. Van Damme is not a large-framed man... so hand to weapon size ratio in the photo (frame size/ weapon length) and loading lever catches on both weapons says they are Colt Style 1851's, NOT Walkers. Given the straight sided cylinder... they're .36 caliber.

Rounded barreled/Octagonal? Given the 'hard' lighting... as we saw in the post of the SC Museum weapon in another post here, it's hard to tell... till you peer closely at the barrel's end... then you notice full curvature.

If I had to take a guess... he's actually sporting a pair of Uberti 1862 Leech & Rigdons (irregardless what they may have called them)... given they almost match the photo (exactly) @

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/5263/...wm_3756955.jpg

The only trouble I see with the movie photo, given no cap relief cut in the right side of the blast shield... is that the photo may be transposed? IE. he should be firing both weapons to the left of frame, instead of right.

Postscript: Searching yahoo photos of Mr. Van Damme, he wears his watch on his left wrist... so yes, the photo is backwards. Your looking at his left hand in the foreground... from the photo's right-hand perspective.

Last edited by emishi; April 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Shades of Hell on Wheels We got us another (or maybe the same?) propmaster and armorer that don't know stuff from shinola when it comes to C&Bs. From the picture, they're both Griswold & Gunnisons, and yes, the photo is reversed.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old April 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #12
mykeal

Quote:
We got us another (or maybe the same?) propmaster and armorer that don't know stuff from shinola when it comes to C&Bs.
Like you said,
I'll see your and raise you an
Old April 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Hawg

call
Old April 8, 2012, 01:58 PM   #14
sserdlihc

If the photo was reversed, wouldn't the knot on his head be on the left side not the right?
Old April 8, 2012, 02:39 PM   #15
OutlawJoseyWales

Cool stuff for sure.

The question I have, if anyone has actually seen this movie, what's the point of the G&G's? Does the character explain himself? That might answer what they actually are.

Like the Video "Beer for my horses" although use of '51's in a stakeout is odd, it certainly was fun.
Old April 8, 2012, 02:57 PM   #16
emishi

Unseen

Haven't seen the movie, but untraceable would be my first thought. Unregistered weapon, no brass, no ammunition lot number, home cast lead & home-made propellant (in any run-down motel room). Any number of reasons are possible, but the down-side would be the noise, fire and smoke signature.

Given the arsenal at his disposal though, one still has to wonder why the character would carry such large revolvers, not easily hidden... when he has such a large number of concealable automatics at his disposal.

Last edited by emishi; April 8, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old April 8, 2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Like the Video "Beer for my horses" although use of '51's in a stakeout is odd, it certainly was fun.
Those 51's were Pietta .44's. You'd think Willie would get it right but I guess not.
Old April 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #18
OutlawJoseyWales

Man, Hawg, we can't trust anybody these days.

Didn't look closely enough there either. That was back before I posted here, but I'm sure that was a hot topic.
Old April 9, 2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Hellgate

The pistols I see look like brass framed 36 cal '51 Navies. The cylinders are straight, not rebated (not 44). The lighting would not reflect on the frames that differently than the barrels & cylinders if they were all the same metal (bluedsteel). They are brasser navies in my eye regardless of what the movie hype says.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #20
Hawg

Walker cylinders are not rebated and the frames aren't blued, they're color case hardened which is lighter and reflect more.
Old April 9, 2012, 03:27 PM   #21
Hellgate

The guns shown have post front sights (Navy) not blades as in the Walkers and in the second link show 3 screws on the right side of the frames with what looks like the shadow of a lever catch (Navy) where the Walker lever would have a tapered but rounded point without a latch on the end of the barrel. Walkers only have one screw going all the way through for the hammer. I'm still sayin' thems Navies albeit with rounded Dragoon like barrels.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 9, 2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Doc Hoy

If it is a Navy....

....it is a Navy with a round barrel, ala G&G or L&R.

Tnx,
Old April 9, 2012, 05:54 PM   #23
emishi

Alas... Griswold wins

Finding http://www.vincelewis.net/griswold.html , I'd have to agree with the Griswold, the oxidation rate of the frame vs. the trigger guard of the weapon pictured there is almost identical to the pair in the movie. So oxidized brass, not colored case hardened... as the Leech.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #24
Hardy

I wrote several times about me owning one of these that I bought in a roadside antique store near Agusta. I remember saying there was an X stamped on the hammer hand. I, after years of thinking realized it might have been a fake until now seeing XX's on main spring. Now I'm sad because I sold it for 100 dollars. Damn that X is now etched in my head!

WBH
Old April 17, 2012, 12:19 AM   #25
Bill Akins

Whoever wrote that Van Damme was using Walkers doesn't know what they are talking about. They must have "Josey Wales" on their mind. Here's almost the same angle pic of Clint as Josey as in the angle pic of Van Damme. Now we can clearly see that those are Walkers Clint is holding. Notice the length of the cylinders and how big they are. With Van Damme being a small guy, if he were holding Walker Colts, they would look HUGE in his hands. They do not look huge in Van Damme's hands in the second photo following the below one do they?

How could IMFDB be so sloppy ignorant as to call Van Damme's G&G's or Leech and Rigdon's as Walkers? I am tired of movie people and writers being ignorant and lacking in proper research. Reminds me of an old t.v. episode of "Tales of the Gold Monkey" when Corky (Jake's mechanic) heard Jake's .455 Webley revolver firing and Corky's line was....

wait for it............

"Hey, that's Jake's Weatherby".

I never could figure out how Jake got a Weatherby rifle into his Webley revolver holster .

We don't need more gun control in this country, we need more gun EDUCATION!

Just had this pointed out to me by another member.....
In below photo Van Damme's revolvers aren't even cocked! Yet in the movie he is facing an opponent who appears to be using a double action revolver (not the other guy with the semi-auto w silencer in below photo under Van Damme in same photo). As the member from here (who clued me to Van Damme's uncocked hammers in a P.M.) noted, maybe the property master and writers intended Van Damme to use them double action! ROFL!

Uncocked.

Before Van Damme could cock them, the other guy could double action his revolver. Not a Mexican standoff at all. Without his single actions cocked, the double action guy would have the edge, know it, take it, and win.

As black powder fans we should say to IMFDB and the movie writers...."I knew Josey Wale's Colt Walkers. I respected Josey Wale's Colt Walkers. You're Van Damme revolvers are no Colt Walkers". (To steal a phrase from a political oriented comment regarding Clinton and JFK). Lol.

Another nice rendering of Josey's Walkers.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 17, 2012 at 01:29 AM.