The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
hammered54

a single powder.

I'm going to be loading for 30.06 and 44mag. soon and would like to use a single powder for both.
not sure on which bullet for the 06 most likely a 150grain spire point, and 230grain for the 44mag.
would like to keep it simple and to a min. # of powders on hand.
if I need to have more than one ...so be it.
thanks, Matt.
Old November 5, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
oneounceload

What does your reloading manuals say? Is there a common powder? How about the powder maker websites?

If you're only talking about two cartridges, having two powders shouldn't be a big deal - buy 8# jugs to keep costs down
Old November 5, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You need more than one.

There is no powder that will do full power loads in .44 Magnum and will also do full power loads in .30-06.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 5, 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

+1 to what Mike says!

The cartridges are very different and no one powder will be even close to satisfactory for both.

The small, straightwall cases of the handgun cartridges like relatively fast powders. Even the .44 Magnum using the slowest typical handgun powders (2400, AA9, W296/H10) is still on the fast end compared to powders for a medium sized bottleneck rifle cartridge like the .30-06.

The fastest powders that will work OK in the .30-06 are IMR3031, H335, etc. But it like even slower powders in the range of H4895 - H4350. None of these are suitable for the .44mag.

Handguns and shotguns can often share the same powders, but bottleneck rifle cases need much slower powders.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

About the only powder I am aware of that might be squeezed into both is IMR4227. At about 70% case fill under the 150 grain bullet (around 37 grains), it will get up to the 2600 fps range in a 24" .30-06. But that low case fill is not recommended for accuracy.

In .44 Magnum, you need the heaviest bullets to get any efficiency from 4227. With a 230 grain bullet it has to be compressed just to get to starting load pressures.

All-in-all, that shared powder is a recipe for poor to mediocre performance from both rounds. I think your best bet, for general flexibility, is to get one of the brands of 4895 for the .30-06 and some Alliant 2400 for the .44 Magnum. As you get used to loading for these chamberings and establish the performance levels you want, you can then think about getting less versatile powders that can do a little bit better for your specific load objectives.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 5, 2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Edward Horton

According to the law you are only allowed to have one wife................

So go ahead and spice up your life, and sample as many different powders as you can.

But just be careful and don't get caught.....................

Old November 5, 2010, 01:02 PM   #7
ryalred

There just isn't one powder that will be adequate for both guns. They are too different. Even the fastest powder suitable for the 30-06 is too slow for the .44 mag. You are going to have to break down and purchase 2 different powders. There are just some gaps you can't cross in reloading and this is one of them.
reloading -- addicted
Old November 5, 2010, 01:30 PM   #8
hammered54

yeah..that's what I thought...but..I had to ask.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Rifleman1776

Those are my two most reloaded calibers. As far as I know there is no single powder suitable for both. You might get a 'bang' from one powder in both but for good performance, nada.
I use H414 in the '06 and H110 for the .44 mag.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

If you do not mind having low velocity in both Trail Boss will work. Just note the velocity of the 06 will be way down there. With the .44 mag it will be in mid range .44 spcl range for velocity.