The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2010, 08:03 AM   #1
grumpa72

Using Lee Classic Cast to reload rifle - powder issue

I have a two year old Lee Classic Cast Turret that I just started doing 30.06 for my M1 Garand and I am having an issue with deciding how to get powder into it. If you are familiar with the CCT then you know it comes with the Auto Disk powder measure using disks. For those loads that exceed the normal charge there is the Double Disk Kit. So I bought a double disk kit now that I have my M1 loads down. I am using 47.5 grains of IMR 4895 and using the largest double disk pair available, I can only go up to about 43 grains. Anyone using the Lee CCT with the Double Disk kit and this kind of charge? If so, any ideas?

If not, am I relegated to hand dipping and weighing each powder charge (if keeping it cheap is one of my goals)? Lee also makes a set of 15 dippers that has one that is, more or less, at my charge.

Any and all ideas eagerly accepted. For my pistols and AR, the disk powder measure does a nice job. I won't be making too many rounds but measuring and dipping each round seems tedious.
Old November 4, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Is there a single disk that will give you roughly half the 47.5 grains you want?

You'd have to drop powder twice without indexing the turret.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 4, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
flashhole

This is what I do. The setup is for 45-70. I cut the funnel down and it allows me to use the Lee Dipper Cups. It goes surprisingly fast once you get your rythm.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 4, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My understanding is that you can use triple disks just as easily as two. You just need screws long enough to reach. I've never tried it because I don't use the auto-disk for rifle, but I've seen pictures.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
grumpa72

Well, duh, why didn't I think of that! Of course, that will work but I must have been too tired to think of something as simple as that. I will try this out because it seems so eleganly simple. I will take the indexing device off and do a double pump, so to speak.