The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Nukalpiaq

.358 Nukalpiaq

Read about the development of the new ".358 Nukalpiaq" rifle cartridge which is based on the 375 Ruger cartridge case.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=17188
Old August 15, 2007, 01:03 AM   #2
joneb

Very cool , Nukapiaq did you decide on a headstamp ?
Old August 15, 2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Nukalpiaq

jibjab,
If I went as far a having custom ammo cases made the heads would be stamped with .358 Nukalpiaq. Thanks
Old August 15, 2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Jim Watson

In 1915 it was known as the .35 Newton.

When I first saw the gunzine plugs for the .375 Ruger I looked up the case dimensions and realized that the wildcatters would be reinventing the whole Newton series, .30, .33, .35, and .40. (I don't think Newton did a .375, the .375 H&H was itself new in 1912 and not established in his day.)
Any but the .40 is a better choice than a .375 in a market with few African safaris.
Old August 15, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Nukalpiaq

Jim,
Just yesterday I was on-line looking at some cartridge dimension drawing comparing the 35 Newton and the 375 Ruger and I can see that Charles Newton was definitely ahead of his time. Here is a weblink to some interesting reading that I also found on Newton: http://cartridgecollectors.org/newtonarticle.htm Thanks
Old August 15, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Jim Watson

We have better bullets and powders now, but the medium-large UNbelted case seems to be coming into fashion. I expect the normally proportioned Newton-Ruger-Nukalpiaq cartridges will feed better out of the magazine than the stubby WSM family, about which I have read some complaints.

I have a W.H.English Pak-Tool portable reloader bought in 1970 that is a dead ringer for the tool Newton offered in 1916.
Old August 18, 2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Nukalpiaq

Key to pronunciation

To help everyone with correct pronunciation, here is a little assistance. Nukalpiaq (Nu-guth-pac), guth is pronounced like Guthrie without the "rie".
Old August 18, 2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Rimrod

The problem is if you have brass made up with "Nukalpiaq" on it, you'll have to spell it on two seperate pieces of brass.

Good luck, I love playing around with ammunition.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old August 18, 2007, 06:40 PM   #9
crowbeaner

All you have to do is put 358 NUKA on the headstamp. Then people will say"I'm going to Nuka that moose!" Tell us how it goes, OK? Enjoy. CB.
Old August 18, 2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Nukalpiaq

Nuka defined

In the Inuit language Nuka means younger sibling of the speaker's sex (younger brother or younger sister). In Greenland Nuka is widely used as a personal name for females and males. Nuka also comes from the Swahili word for "smell" or "stink". Nuka was a character from the 1998 Disney direct-to-video animated film The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.

I believe most of the English speaking world understands the term, nuke, nuked, in this case nuka: To detonate a nuclear weapon on a target. 358 Nukalpiaq may be a good cartridge, but not that good, couldn't live up to the name if we called it nuke or nuka.
Maybe Nuka as defined in the Inuit language (younger sibling of the 375 Ruger). Thanks