The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 3, 2005, 11:38 PM   #151
joab

Quote:
Seriously though, interesting, but I don't see how that could be useful. I'm not planning on feeling my ears when I should be shooting.
Like I said , not my theory. Just thought it was interesting what they want us to consider before acting.
And also from my description of the theory it is obvious that that was part of the class that I kinda dozed through
Old August 4, 2005, 06:57 AM   #152
XavierBreath

Quote:
Just thought it was interesting what they want us to consider before acting.
Nah........it's just that many people want a definitive indicator of when to draw and shoot. They want a "green light" sort of sign that says "You are now legal to shoot this BG". They want some hot ears that say "don't draw" or cold hands that say "draw." They want to be able to say "Officer, my hands were old and my ears were not hot, so you can't charge me with squat." Such people should reconsider carrying a gun.

As shown in this very thread, the threshold for action is a very gray area, not a sharp line. There are just to many subtlties and variables. At best, it is a spectrum of gray, perhaps with some red joining it from one of the corners. There are infinite possibilities. It is as individual as each person who chooses to pack a gun. A man who carries a gun must accept this, and be willing to live within it. We are all different, with different abilities, but we all have the same basic right of self preservation.

My usual thought is this: when a reasonable man ceases to be concerned about imprisonment and becomes concerned about internment, he then has cause to draw. If his ears are hot, he still has cause to draw. If he waits until those ears cool down, he may become the parent of orphans. I haven't read any law that requires a telephone to be at least 50 feet away, your ears to be cool, or your car functional. Reasonable man, fear of death or serious life altering injury,....hmmmmmm........sound like what the law says. Imagine that!
Old August 4, 2005, 07:08 AM   #153
BerettaCougar

This thing is still floating around?
Old August 4, 2005, 08:56 AM   #154
Superhornet

JOAB--------well I guess after all the discussion, I would give them the $10, the keys to the car and help them push it somewhere to get it repaired...oh! And give them the handgun, as it is quite apparent that many posting here might not really have a use for it and should not be carrying. Of course all of this after I checked my ears and found out the they were hot, called the ACLU, the DNC, the Brady's and found and re-read a copy of Coopers rules of engagement....
Old August 4, 2005, 09:07 AM   #155
XavierBreath

Quote:
JOAB--------well I guess after all the discussion, I would give them the $10, the keys to the car and help them push it somewhere to get it repaired...oh! And give them the handgun, as it is quite apparent that many posting here might not really have a use for it and should not be carrying. Of course all of this after I checked my ears and found out the they were hot, called the ACLU, the DNC, the Brady's and found and re-read a copy of Coopers rules of engagement....
psssssssssst! Look at a few of joabs previous responses on this thread. I think he was just adding additional information to an interesting thread with the "cold hands hot ears" thing. You may find that you agree with many of his previous posts.
Old August 4, 2005, 12:52 PM   #156
Superhornet

PSSSST-----Xv---I do agree with JOAB on many things he wrote....it was not meant to be disrespectful or find fault.
Old August 4, 2005, 03:43 PM   #157
joab

After rethinking the Hot Ear theory I have decided to act preemptively.

I'm buying digital thermometers to clip onto my left ear and right pinky finger.

That way I have proof of rational thought and may even start a fashion trend
Old August 4, 2005, 03:46 PM   #158
joab

Quote:
I think he was just adding additional information to an interesting thread with the "cold hands hot ears" thing.
What I find most interesting about this thread is that it has lasted this long.

I honestly would have expected about one page of attaboys with a few very minor tactical critiques
Old August 8, 2005, 12:11 PM   #159
pt92

This is why I think the CCW Laws are a bit ambiguous--Some might say you are not justified in pulling a gun unless there is imminent danger to your person. However, if the imminent danger comes to fruition, it will most likely be to late for the victim to react meaning that one has to draw his/her weapon prior to the actual closing moments of an altercation (to me, a human being even absent a gun or knife is a potential lethal weapon).

For example, a lady is walking to her car at night and a perp is following her looking to obviously assault her. Now, does she wait for the perp to close within a foot of her thereby becoming prey or does she draw down on him when he is within 10ft or so and warn him that she will shoot if he continues to close?

The idea that one has to wait until they are in harms way is ludicrous as far as I am concerned.

-Cheers
Old August 8, 2005, 08:13 PM   #160
joab

Quote:
The idea that one has to wait until they are in harms way is ludicrous as far as I am concerned.
Apparently, that's the frog hair between imminent and immediate
Old August 9, 2005, 06:07 PM   #161
Daniel BOON

pulling your gat?

I have lived in Henderson nev. for about 2 months, its a burb of Las vegas. when tourists come here, they do their thing, then go home, usually unharmed. those who live here know the truth; this is a crime ridden city, any time you turn a corner, somebody is there waiting to rip you off, or worse. I would have done the same thing; the law averages around 3 min response time; that gives the bad guys 2 1/2 min to get away, 30 seconds to kill you....game over.