The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2005, 08:53 PM   #1
BigSlick

Best Price for an RCBS Trim Mate ???

Anyone know where to pick up one of these for cheap(er) ?

I searched the 'net pretty hard and the best price I came up with was Cabelas at $82 bucks and change.

Anyone have any experience with this thing ? From what I read, it looks great and I am worn out from cleaning primer pockets with the little tool that RCBS sells.

Any other good ideas on how to make primer pocket cleaning go a little faster ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Old February 4, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Edward429451

Spring for the power trimmate! Saves oodles of time. Twice as much but four times as fast. I luv my power trimmer...

What I did to speed up primer pocket cleaning...MacGyver.

I cut the end off of an old cleaning rod and drilled the front of the desk which holds the mounted trimmer to the same size as rod and tapped/epoxyed in the cleaning rod section to flush and the primer pocket brush now screws right into the desk front. One hand pocket cleaning while I'm readying to put it into the trimmer. By the time ones done trimming, I've inspected and cleaned the pocket of the next.
Old February 5, 2005, 09:41 PM   #3
BigSlick

I found a Trim Mate for $82 bucks local.

Tonight is the first time to use it, but I have to say this thing will save a TON of time. I cleaned the primer pocket of about 400 rounds in about 20 minutes, taking my time and doing a case inspection in the process.

If you have any desire to save time, definitely buy one of these things. It seems pretty solid and makes case prep simple as can be.

BigSlick
Old February 5, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4
grunewaj

I recently got one, too. I paid $89.95 at TNT Reloading so I guess I could have gotten a little better deal. I think it's a great thing. I'm considering RCBS's powered trimmer, but I really want a Giraud (which trims, chamfers, and deburrs in one step). I just need to figure out if I'll shoot enough rifle to make it worth the price. I actually don't shoot too much rifle for my hand Lyman trimmer - except when I do it and then I want something motorized - but I digress....

The Trim Mate is a great tool that make rather short work of a lot of crappy jobs like uniforming primer pockets, flash hole deburring, removing military primer crimps. At $82, it is a real bargain! You'll still have to buy some of the nice tools to chuck in it. I got mine at Midway. One thing that isn't spelled out is that RCBS's "flash hole deburring tool replacement rod and cutter" has the right threads to screw into one of the stations of the Trim Mate. Just get the proper pilot stop for your caliber.

Good luck!
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old February 6, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5
NorWestr

I just picked one up at midway for $83 on sale. it should be here Tues. I received 2K rds of 223 once fired this week and as I looked at it my hands started to cramp, and go numb. I figured the sale price must be a sign. Does anybody make a VLD type chamfer tool that'll fit it? If not I can probably have a machine shop thread one for me.
NW