The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2002, 08:43 AM   #1
Proshots

choke size discrepency

I'm looking at Carlson's extended tubes for two guns: Citori and a Rem 1187. Checking both on the cabelas website, I notice that the tubes for browning start off .010" less restriction than those listed for Remington. Example: Browning "cyc" = .740", while the Remington "cyc" is .730". Thats a two choke size difference! Now I'm wondering what is the actual size of a 12ga. ?? Why the difference, and which tubes to get for skeet and which ones for clays? I don't care how they're listed, but would like to know what sizes are best for skeet/clays. Thanks.
Old May 1, 2002, 01:36 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The Remington .730" cylinder tube is about the same as the nominal standard 12 gauge bore, .729"+ and so will give no constriction.
The Browning Invector PLUS barrels are overbored to larger than standard 12 gauge diameter so as to give more even patterns and less recoil, so it takes a .740" tube to have no constriction.
They do not list any tubes for the original Browning Invector. I don't know if Browning now overbores all barrels or just that Cabela doesn't carry the plain Invector tubes.

So the tubes are both correct for cylinder bore = no constriction IN THE GUNS THEY ARE MADE FOR. And so on through the range of chokes; what counts is the constriction from the bore to the choke, not the ID of the tube alone.

Cylinder bore is fine for 12 gauge skeet. I don't know much about sporting clays except that many shooters carry along a selection of choke tubes and are swapping them around at nearly every stand. What one single choke would be the best, I don't know for sure. Maybe light modified.
Old May 1, 2002, 01:50 PM   #3
Proshots

Thanks Jim, that explains it quite clearly. I too was thinking of light/mod for clays. Although with the extended Carlson tubes I could switch them, I'm not that gung-ho about it. Thanks again.