The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
ranger351w

125 cast rn = BULLSEYE

Does anyone have a recipe for 125 gr. cast RN .356 ? I need a starting point . I never loaded cast
9mm bullets before.

seen at
seipsg.net

Last edited by ranger351w; January 31, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: forgot spell checker
Old January 31, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hodgdon's site has data for a 124 grain cast bullet. One grain won't matter. Nor does one thou or the the bullet shape. They have data for a 125 grain LCN(lead conical nose aka truncated cone) too.
Just remember that you can't drive a cast bullet as fast as a jacketed and you'll be fine. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old January 31, 2008, 05:33 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Sure

Just finished up 200 rounds of 9mm, lead 125 gr LCN today.
I use Titegroup (Hodgdon) 3.8 gr. and they shoot great.
My OAL is 1.125" and for me it feeds my Cougar just fine.
SN
Old January 31, 2008, 05:43 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Alliant says 4.9 grains of Bullseye is a max load for 125 grain bullets, cast or jacketed. OAL = 1.15" Maybe start at 4.5 grains and see how your gun likes it?
Old January 31, 2008, 05:45 PM   #5
saber9

Your header said BULLSEYE - I assume you asking about loads for Bullseye powder.

My Lyman manual shows starting load of 3.4 grains, with a max of 3.9 gr.
My Speer manual shows starting load of 3.5 grains, with a max of 3.8 gr.
Old January 31, 2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Scott5

Hello all,
Who says you can't shoot cast as fast as jacketed? Certainly not 9.3X62AL from :http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...php/t-576.html
I would say that in rifles some calibers are capable of matching their jacketed bullet accuracy without a lot of hoopla, and sometimes with matching velocity. The 45-70 comes to mind here, and in this instance its cast boolit work can exceed that of jacketed bullets both velocity- and accuracy-wise. Of course, in 45-70 the platfrom can become a limiting factor--Trapdoor vs Ruger #1 strength levels.

In revolvers, cast boolits often/frequently exceed jacketed bullet accuracy and velocity. I will go out on a limb and say the cast boolit is generally more accurate and capable of higher velocity than the jacketed bullet in most wheelgun calibers. This assumes good dimensional and mechanical integrity in the revolver, and cast boolits that agree with the revolver dimensionally.

Autopistols can equal jacketed bullet capabilities with cast boolits, but it sometimes takes a bit more work to get there. Dimensional integrity as always must be adhered to, and in the high-pressure calibers with fast twists like the 9mm and 40 S&W a hard alloy and soft lubes can provide surprising accuracy and reliability. End quote.

In my own experience of shooting cast bullets I had to polish the bore shooting about 500 jacketed bullets first, then load a couple hundred rounds of cast dusted with MICA, then I could shoot cast at jacketed speeds

Happy shooting
Scott5