The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 7, 2000, 04:28 PM   #1
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

I'm looking for some .45 Colt BP loads. I'll be using Pyrodex Select (FFg equilant).

One of my reloading manuals list a load of 37 grs. It says this is max load. Anyone know if this is a compressed load.

What I am going to do is use this as a base starting point on working up some BP .454 Casull rounds. The only other BP I've loaded is my .45-110 Sharps.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old February 8, 2000, 01:24 AM   #2
Joe West

Yes 37 grains by volume is about all you can get in a modern .45 Colt case even with a drop tube. All bp loads must be compressed unless you use the Pyrodex pellets which are already compressed. Very bad dangerous results if not compressed. Elmer Keith always told new reloaders to start with BP cause you can't go wrong just filling up the case and seating the bullet.
And really that's what you must do. If you want lighter loads or to use bigger cases like the .454 with the same load, you've got to use wads to take up the space. Cabela's and Dixie Gun works both sell vegetable wads you can use to reduce the load and protect the bullet base. If you use wonder wads, dry them with paper towels first or excess lube will "kill" some of your powder. Hang fires! The Hodgdon Power Co web site has a lot of info available. If you use real BP you need to check out SPG lubed bullets. If you shoot standard lubed bullets, stick to Pyrodex or Cleanshot. DON'T mix shooting smokeless and BP rounds without cleaning. Results will vary with every variable you introduce. My favorite way to load BP 44-40 or .45 Colt rounds is to drop a .44 Pyrodex pellet in a standard primed case, seat a standard lubed lead bullet and crimp. The pellet will rattle but it's already compressed and will give you a load equal to 30 grains of Pyrodex RS.
More info can be obtained from the real BP experts who abound on various forums.
Joe West

------------------
Old February 8, 2000, 07:38 AM   #3
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Thanks Joe,

Already knew all that (i.e. compressing loads, lube, etc). I just wanted clairification before I entered the unknow world of BP Handgun.

My BP measure goes from 70 - 120 grains. Doing some calculations (until I get a smaller measure) I believe the .454 will hold about 50 grains of BP. We shall see.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old February 8, 2000, 09:56 AM   #4
Joe West

Sorry if I over simplified but I go from the basics just to be sure. I appreciate when people do that for me. The Select grade didn't really show any advantage over RS to me in the smaller pistol caliber cases. My best accuracy and least fouling came from using the pellets or slightly reduced loads of pyrodex P under a dried out wonder wad. I've used these methods at EOT, Winter Range, and Mule Camp in varying climatic conditions. So my point of view is shooting targets within the context of a match without being unduly hampered by fouling induced gun failures. Shooting from within prop buildings with even these loads you notice quite a concussion. The hits on target are sharp and the velocity is such that the hit comes while the boom is still rolling. The .454 case should give you a load that would be very effective on game, too strong for SASS.
Joe West

------------------
Old February 8, 2000, 08:50 PM   #5
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

No appoligies needed. Glad you did. I should have explained that I have some (mind you limited experience) loading BP... my fault.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old February 9, 2000, 02:38 PM   #6
Trigger Jerk

For those that might be interested.. the Lee powder dippers work pretty good for black powder, especailly when you load BP in different amounts, or calibers. I pretty much shoot smokeless in the main stages but load BP in some of my 12 gauge, all of my 10 gauge, 38 S&W, 32 S&W long, and 32 ACP. That's right, I have a Davis derringer in 32 ACP that I load a moly coated lead bullet over BP. It works great!!