The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 09:08 PM   #1
thm

Walmart humpback 390's gone?

Went to my local WallyWorld to get a Beretta 390 humpback. None available. Only Beretta's are 391s that are special order items. Looks they replaced the Beretta 390 with a Charles Daly autoloader.

Sam Walton Remington Autos are still there with the gold inlay carving of Sam and the straight grip stocks.

Is the discontinuation of the Walmart 390 a local phenomenon or national one?

...kicking myself in the but for not getting one earlier. Guess I'll have to get a Winchester X2...{sigh}
Old December 4, 2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Humpback???

my local Walmart had a synthetic stocked 390 last time I was there. kind of a standard, no-frills, walmartian thing, one choke tube- modified. I don't recall the price.
The chuck Daly guns don't impress me.
The Winchester X2s and SX2s- now that is some good hardware. I bought a synthetic SX2 at a bargain price and I like it soooo much I would love to pick up a walnut stocked X2.
Old December 4, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3
Redlg155

I think they still have a couple at mine. A jillion Charles Dallys and one franchi O/U as well as the usual assortment.

Good Shooting
Red
Old December 4, 2002, 11:49 PM   #4
RdB

...saw one today in N.E. Connecticut

it didn't have a price tag on it, though
Old December 4, 2002, 11:55 PM   #5
bastiat

Darn, those 390's were on my short list of shotguns. I'll have to look around (after Xmas - no way I'm going to step into a walmart before then) and see if they still have them.

Of course, it would take a spectacular lunar alignment in order for me to have extra money when something good goes on sale.
Old December 5, 2002, 06:37 PM   #6
thm

Kingcreek: the Wal-mart Berettas have a squared off humpback receiver compared to the current beretta 391 which has a round receiver that tapers into the pistol grip of the stock.

Bastiat: Yeah, I too was looking at the 390 for all-around use (waterfowl, upland, clays). Now, just can't decide to go with the Win X2 (already have the practical) or with the Beretta 391. Similar cost but:

Pro Winchester: already have one and know the action works, wider rib on the Winchester
Con Winchester: only the Sporting Clays version has the adjustable shim stock (can any of the X2's be shimmed?)

Pro Beretta: promotional offer with cap, jacket, bag, chokes, etc. worth $250 (in Beretta's fantasyland); adjustable stock
Con Beretta: more stupid stuff to learn (magazine stop, ergonomics, stripping, etc)

Maybe I'll stop by the local clays ranch and try each one out. Any head-to-head experiences on these smoothbores?
Old December 5, 2002, 06:54 PM   #7
Hexagram13

There was one in the NLR, AR Walmart today. No clay targets though, and they haven't had them for over a week.
tony
Old December 5, 2002, 09:01 PM   #8
Will Beararms

There's one at the Plano, TX Supercenter on Ohio Street.
Old December 6, 2002, 11:18 AM   #9
JAB

I'm still seeing 390's in the Wally Worlds around here. Was the 390 a special made gun for Wal-Mart much like the Win. Model 70's that are produced for them? I've never found it in any Beretta catalog.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:32 PM   #10
S.F.S

They are still available at the Wal-Marts by me along with the Daly's. Those Daly's are tempting for that price ($299.00) they even come with 3 choke tubes.

Scott
Old December 7, 2002, 09:27 PM   #11
Jamis

I'd be afraid of the quality of the Charles Daily. I've heard of people haveing problems with them.
Old December 8, 2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Kingcreek

Quote:
Kingcreek: the Wal-mart Berettas have a squared off humpback receiver
I have a 390 but it is not a squared-off reciever. It has a nice walnut stock and 3 choke tubes and a mag cut-off. I paid $525 for it new at the last mom-and-pop hardware store within an hours drive.

I would be a little leary of those chuck dalys also.