The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
jolly1

Quick release mounts on rim fire rifle

Gents,

Good day!

I would like to scope a rim fire rifle CZ 452 lux - 22LR, and to have it with quick release mounts.
What I have noticed around - most quick release mounts on rim fire rifles are based on weaver rail attached to dove tail. (Like QRW Leupold systems)

So my first concern is: if I fit the weaver on a dove tail - is there a possibility for weaver to block my aim and view to mechanical sights when scope is removed?

My second concern is following:
When mounting a scope - I would like to have rear sight fixed and unremoved.

On some scopes - due to lenght of scope - the rear sight has to be removed - this I would like to avoid.

So, as I am open to suggestions, I would appreciate any useful advice on which combination base / mounts / scope / magnification to use in order to have quick release mounting system, with rear sights fitted when scope is removed.

Is there a possibility to have quick release mounts fitted on a dove tail, or it is always necessary to fit the weaver rail.

The purpose of the rifle is plinking, target shooting and bench rest shooting at 100 meters, and occasionally up to 200.

Many thanks for your input!
Old August 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Follow the link below, to Optics Talk, and a gun similar. They use see-thru rings, here, but you may want different. See through will change the sight line higher, so you may not like it.

http://www.opticstalk.com/cz-452-lux...opic23200.html

I'll try to link the photo.

Old August 13, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
jolly1

Thanks, but "see-throu" is not what I hand in mind. One of the reasons is too high position of the scope from the bore axes.

Most important question is - if the weaver rail will block the iron sights?
Old August 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You would need to measure it. Take a yardstick, and lay it on top of the front and rear sight, while allowing the end of the stick to hang over the receiver. Measure the gap from the bottom of the stick to the top of the receiver, and subtract the rail height. Allow for about 3/16" to view the rear sight, which would be added to the height of the rail. If after adding the two, they match the measurement to the bottom of the yardstick, or under it, then it should work.
Old August 14, 2013, 05:16 PM   #5
PetahW

The adaptor rail will usually block the use of open/iron bbl sights, unless the sights are higher than most gun companies' (aka: a high line-of-sight).

A rear bbl open/iron sight will usually need to be either a folder or removed so a scope with an objective bell larger than 32mm will clear - why the see-through rings are so high.

AFAIK, there are no QD rings which fit the 11mm CZ's receiver grooves.

Old August 14, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
jolly1

Ok. So, basically, - there is no point of mounting weaver rail for QR mounts on CZ rim fire?

I was hoping to find something as per attachment. Unfortunately the attached system was hand made, and probably not available on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weaver.JPG (12.9 KB, 17 views)
Old August 15, 2013, 03:14 AM   #7
jolly1

Something like this. It looks the weaver does not block the view to sights - but I can not get any technical detail / maker, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weaver2.JPG (53.1 KB, 19 views)
Old August 15, 2013, 12:59 PM   #8
PetahW

The QD rings on that rifle look like they could be $120 Talley's, which are listed as fitting the CZ550's dovetails.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...controller.cgi

IDK if they're larger, or if they fit a RF CZ's 11mm dovetails, which may be narrower than a 550's.

IMO, the use of the Talley's would depend both upon a compatible dovetail size and on hot flat the top of the RF CZ's receiver is between the dovetail cuts - so as to accommodate the flat underside of the Talley ringset.

IOW, if the Talley dovetail/clamping size is compatible with your rimfire CZ, AND the CZ's receiver is flat enough to accept the Talley's, allowing them to clamp, you might be good to go.

Last edited by PetahW; August 15, 2013 at 01:05 PM.