The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 28, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1
posigian

Where does one go for Revolver training?

Most everything out there today is based on the semi auto weapon. I'm trying to further my education but I cant find anything revolver specific.

So where does one go for a day or two of good training for those with the steel wheels?

If its worthy the time and money I might travel but I would prefer something near Michigan.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Lavid2002

How much do you know?
Old March 1, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
posigian

I know enough to want more from my practice time. I get range time once a month and I once shot IDPA for regular practice but Fatherhood has put that aside these last few years. I need and desire further skill building because I believe in being prepared. All my years I have carried jframe snubbies and during my time on the IDPA range I shot a 686+ 2 ½” tube. The 686 has since gone but I try to practice what I carry and carry what I practice. I prefer the 5 shot jframe centennial because its simplicity at its best and the most reliable for me and my skill level.

I’ve never made the leap into the semi auto pistols because of life’s responsibilities and it not being a necessity. My needs are being equipped with a 640 and a 642 both with CTC laser grips. The only other necessity in my life would be more formal training but most all the local schools are centered on the semi auto pistol when I’m looking for a revolver specific course. I am willing to pay for more school so I can learn good habits for my range time and build on handling skills when Im off the range.

P
Old March 17, 2010, 06:02 AM   #4
boltgun71

Both Shootrite and Thunder Ranch offer revolver specific courses. I have attended the Shootrite course and loved it. It was my first formal handgun training and it turned out to be the best money I have ever spent on a shooting course. Tiger McKee is a great teacher and endorsed by Clint Smith.

http://www.shootrite.org/courses/Handgun/Handgun.html

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/courses.html

Hope these help.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
230therapy

Tom Givens' Rangemaster offers a one day defensive revolver course.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
r_magill

Posigian, I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps an class that is for pistols in general can help you. The fundamentals of good marksmanship are the same for semi-autos and revolvers (yes, the grip is different and they reload differently, but good grip basics are good grip basics and good reload basics are good reload basics). As long as (s)he knows you are bringing a revolver to the class, any good instructor can tweak what (s)he is teaching for either a semi-auto or revolver. It might be easier to find a quality general pistol class with an instructor willing to teach someone with a revolver than it is to find a revolver-only class.
Old July 31, 2011, 01:07 PM   #7
kraigwy

Get Jerry Miculek's DVD on Advanced Revolver Shooting from Clark Custom Guns.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/videos.htm

Then start shooting ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts)

http://www.icore.org/

After 20 years carrying a revolver in LE I thought I knew how to shoot a revolver............that is until I started shooting ICORE.

Rules, courses of fire, Clubs, and up coming matches are listed on their website.

Like any other discipline of shooting sports, once you show up, you'll meet lots of people to help you get started, tips and coaching, and equipment you need or more important, DON'T NEED.

You don't need fancy guns. I shoot a stock M-64 Smith with speed loaders and my old duty holster.

Have fun, show the guys that revolvers can still shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 19, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Jeff22

revolver training

The Midwest Training Group has a revolver-specific class called "Mastering the Revolver". Their 2012 schedule isn't up yet

http://midwesttraininggroup.net/

The Massad Ayoob Group (used to be the Lethal Force Institute) has a 2 day shooting class called MAG-40 (what used to be the LFI "Stressfire" course). That class is applicable to any handgun and is targeted specifically for the private citizen who wants to learn how to defend themselves with a firearm.

The great thing about the MAG/LFI classes is that they teach you every viable option of grip and stance and position and then let you choose the combination that works best for YOU.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
g.willikers

And get one of these for home practice:
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/3576W
Old January 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Claude Werner does a great snubbie class.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Jeff22

snubtraining.com

Check out: snubtraining.com

Michael deBethencourt has developed a modest reputation as a master instructor of the little revolver.

I have never taken any training from him.

He apparently is working on a book which I am anxious to read