The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1
sollie2

De prime Brass

OK I am new at reloading, I need to know how to de prime an unfired primer. When I went to seat it in the brass it feed in sideways. It now sits crooked in the brass with it sticking far enough out the brass holder wont remove.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:29 PM   #2
flashhole

You can use your sizing die just as you normally would but take it slow with a minimal amount of pressure. Don't slam the decapping pin into the primer simulating a firing pin strike. I put a towel over the die/press as a shroud when decapping live primers. You can also dip it in oil or something else that would kill the primer prior to trying to decap it. Just be sure you clean all the foreign material out before using the brass again.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 23, 2009, 05:37 PM   #3
sollie2

ok thanks I wasn't sure how to go about it.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Foxbat

One additional advice... sometimes the primer may be so crookedly seated, that it prevents you from putting the case in the holder - happened...

In that case I simply clamp the case in the vise (with soft jaws), and drive the primer out with a depriming pin borrowed from a die. Put it there, and give it a soft whack, making sure your face is safe distance away.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

. . . and your hands have leather gloves on. Might not be bad to put hearing protection on, too, if you're using the mallet method.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 24, 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
chris in va

Toss it, move on.
Old November 25, 2009, 02:29 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
Toss it, move on.
Chris, where do you suggest tossing a live primer? Especially one still in a primer pocket?

I have squished a few primers sideways, and even backwards into a cartridge case. Flashhole's suggestion to simply switch back to the depriming die has always worked for me. I have even been able to use the same primer (if it was not actually deformed by the mistake).

When in doubt, toss it out, of course. But before tossing, deactivating the primer (setting it off in a safe manner is the only 100% sure method I know of) or take it to a hazmat (hazardous materials) disposal site.

Be safe, good luck (they go hand in hand, usually safety leads to good luck, the other way around makes for more interesting stories if you survive, though). You do wear your safety glasses when priming, yes? Full face shield is better, even.

And don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; November 25, 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: to mention eye protection.
Old November 25, 2009, 02:49 PM   #8
sollie2

Thanks for your help guys, got it out with a bang but I was wearing protection. Thanks again for the advise.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:28 PM   #9
flashhole

What did you do that caused it to go off?

Are you ready for civil war?