The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2002, 09:57 AM   #1
VaughnT

Trigger job update.

Well, the advise given in the former thread proved true. I did set the overtravel screw too tight and it was preventing the safety levers from moving anywhere near enough to life the S80 plunger. Disassembly of the slide showed severe peening of the plunger's corner. My bad.

What I did was drop the weapon off with Skip Gilmer (anderson, sc) for a tune-up and some replacement parts. I'm having the sear, disconnector and hammer replaced, as well as the grip safety. I chose the STI commander hammer with lightening slot and an Ed Brown hisweep beavertail.

Skip says the weapon should be finished by the end of next week, if the parts come in soon enough, but that fast a job kinda scares me. The last smith I dealt with didn't do diddly in over six weeks, but just over a week....? Does that sound right? Skip has a very good reputation and the pistols in his shop, which he let me dry-fire, were very nice. I'll have to trust him.

I'm excited. Nervous, but excited.
Old December 3, 2002, 10:58 PM   #2
Old Fuff

I have no idea about you're gunsmith's qualifications, but if he knows what he's doing and can get right too it the gun should be ready within 2 days after the parts come in. The biggest part of the job will be fitting the new grip safety because it will probably be necessary to slightly modify the frame. Report back after the pistol is returned. I hope things work out this time.