The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 3, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Bipods...

....how big of a difference can a good bipod make on the scores down range? I'm shooting FTR 600yd right now.

I put a cheapo (Caldwell) on my .308 to give competitive shooting a try to see if I liked it. Well, I do, so I was wondering how much a difference a good bipod would make. I'm looking at getting a sinclair f-class bipod to put on my rifle.

Let me hear your opinions.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Viper225

I do not own one myself, but the Sled Feet competition bipods are the Bee's Knees for F Class.

BEER BUDGET
Get a plastic cutting board to set on the ground. Now get a couple spray paint plastic caps and put them under your bipod feet. This should make a noticeable improvement as your bipod will now slide back instead of jumping.
Red, White or Blue pairs for competition, Krylon Camo Caps for Tactical Rifles.

I have not checked the Rules lately, (Old and Have CRS) so you might want to take a look and make sure the paint caps are not an issue. I have done this at one match and no one said a word about it.

Bob
Old January 3, 2014, 11:59 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Hmmmm, thanks for the idea.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:03 AM   #4
5RWill

Depends on what your doing. I use harris and if i wasn't that cheap i'd be rocking atlas on every rifle i have. The reason i would only go either of those two is in the event that i'm rough on the equipment i don't have to worry about it. Both are very proven.

As far as accuracy concerns it's form and fundamentals that's going to help you using a bipod to reduce/eliminate hop, and have proper recoil control considering the bipods we're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxNBl4FLDA
Old January 8, 2014, 06:30 AM   #5
jwrowland77

I broke down and treated myself, since the only thing I use my .308 for is for F-class shooting. So I splurged since I rarely ever by myself stuff. I figured I needed a nice Christmas gift.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:55 PM   #6
dmanisgnarly

What did you end up getting? I'm looking to dress up my FNAR for F class.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:58 PM   #7
jwrowland77

I ended up getting the Sinclair F-class. I was really impressed with it after putting it together and doing some practice dry fire in the house. Very solid platform. I'm getting ready to upgrade my rifle too, from a Savage Axis XP to a Rem 700 SPS stainless steel barrel in .308.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:56 PM   #8
dmanisgnarly

Thanks! I really like the build design of the sinclair it looks very lightweight but durable. Did you get the quick adjust or fixed bipod? I'd think the extra 50 bones is worth it?
Old January 14, 2014, 09:57 PM   #9
jwrowland77

I got the quick adjust. They had it on sale for $199 at Sinclair plus I had a $10 off which pretty much paid for shipping.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10
dmanisgnarly

Dang, that's a deal! I saw a used one on another forum for $175. Someone grabbed it before I could get home to reply! I guess I'll use some of the giftcards I got for christmas to help offset the $ sting. Thanks for the quick reply! I'm really getting a lot of good relevant information off this site!