The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Craig Granquist

9mm 135 grn w231 loads

Hi all
This is my first post so I will introduce myself before I ask my question. I have recently (in the last 18 months) started pistol shooting again since the last buy back.
I have been participating in IPSC, Action Pistol, 42 shot etc at SSAA ranges around Hobart.
I reload my own ammo and also load a few rounds for friends. I shoot with a CZ SP01 Shadow in 9mm and reload on a Hornady LNL AP.

My question is regarding reloading for 9mm.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reloafing data source for loads using Winchester 231 for a 135 grain Fronteir Arms (copper plated) projectile. The Winchester site only has 130 and 147 grain data.

I normally use ADI AP70 but powder supply can be sporadic in Tasmania and I happened to find 3 cans of 231 after searching for AP70 so I snapped it up. This powder has similar load dsta to AP70 with 124 grain projectiles but I dont want to risk trying this data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
Old November 12, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Welcome to TFL!

Plated bullets generally use load data for cast or the medium range load data for FMJ as the max load. There is generally a 1200 FPS max on 9mm plated bullets to stay in the safe zone. Also if you have more questions we have a reloading section here....http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

There are some great people here and willing and knowledgeable people more than willing to help.
Old November 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
baddarryl

This is quite the handy site.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old November 12, 2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Welcome

Welcome to TFL :-) There's lots of people here to help.

I wish I could find 3 cans of W231

BTW, this post may fit better in the "Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting" section.

There's lots of good info out there someone will point you too. Myself, I'd use 124g data, starting 10% below the minimum. Or split the difference between 124 and 147.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:44 AM   #5
oldandslow

cg, 11/13/13

Welcome. I cast and reload for 135 grain 9mm loads with W231. For medium velocities with cast lead boolits I use 4.1 grains which gives me a velocity of 975 ft/second out of a 3.5 inch barrel and 1023 ft/second out of a 5 inch barrel. Works well for me but as with all reloading suggestions it's best to start out low and work your way up with your plated bullets. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old November 13, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Craig Granquist

Thanks all for the info. I'll do some research now.