The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2005, 09:14 PM   #1
roger1shot

Hog Hunting

Hey,
I'm planning to hunt hogs with my Super Red Hawk 44Mag.
And I was wanting to know what most of ya'll use for a good hog hunting load,in the 44mag.
I was thinking about a NOSLER PARTITION BULLET,or a full Metal Jacket.
Where I'll be hunting you can also use a Muzzlerloader.So I'll take my first shot will the Knight .50 cal.
I've got the Knight sighted in with the Barns 245 grain Spit-Fire MZ,for deer,with 150 grain charge.
Now for hogs, this might not be the best load.What do ya'll think???
Should I load the Knight up with a Nolser Partition also,or will the Barns bullet do the job? Thanks
Old September 9, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Clayfish

sounds good to me. Have fun.
Old September 9, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3
zeisloft

Big hogs need big bullets if you are on foot, I have bounced 240gners off their heads, their skull is a ramp made for deflecting bullets. I still use the 240 s cause they are good for a quick 2nd shot or back up shot. But 1/2 the cylinder is full of 300 grainers. Lesson learned, dont take the between the eyes if you can avoid it. If thats all you have, shoot lower, towards the snout so the bullet crushes the spine or exits the back of the head. Otherwise step to the side and try to put 1 or 2 into the ribs as it passes. If all else fails...scream and run. One way or the other, it will get the ole heart beatin. Have fun.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old September 9, 2005, 02:01 PM   #4
mete

Check this www.sportingD.com click on videos and boar and see how it's done with a knife!! The general comments on boar are to use a heavy well constructed bullet and make sure you know the anatomy too. The Nosler is a good choice for the 44mag.
Old September 9, 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
impact

I have never used a 44 for a side arm. I use a 45 colt with 300gr bullet. Nothing wrong with the 44 I just like the 45. I did shoot a hog in the back of the head with the 45. Long story! I'm going to make it short. I found a sick hog in the woods that had a infected right rear leg laying in a mud hole. I put the hog down. I will tell you at point blank the 300gr bullet did not go through the the hogs head. I load my 45 load is not real hot but somewhat warm. Between the original 45 load and a 44 mag. It did however put the sick hog down fast.
Old September 11, 2005, 09:29 PM   #6
Mannlicher

I have taken a number of hogs with the.44 Mag Speer 270 grain Gold Dot SP. I used factory loads for awhile, then switched to rolling my own. They are 'stout' from a handgun, but really come into their own from a .44 mag rifle.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 2, 2005, 12:17 AM   #7
shureshot0471

screw the gun go with a knife lol no dont take me secersouly go with that gun ang bullets use the same myself