The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 1999, 01:19 AM   #1
sjones

A friend of my son gave him a winchester model 12 pump in 16 gauge. He doesn't hunt or shoot,so he asked me if I wanted it free of charge? I said hell yes. Now my question. It has some small rust spots on it and problely needs to be reblued,but it seems to funtion ok.It is a 2 3/4 inch,full choke and I can't find a serial # anywhere.Does anyone have any idea how much it is worth? thanks sj
Old September 8, 1999, 10:01 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If it's really a Model 12, there ought to be a serial number on the bottom front of the receiver, with a matching number on the barrel-mount. They only made several hundred in 1912; I have a 20-gauge, 14xxx made in 1913.

A plain vanilla Model 12 with poor finish but not beat up and banged around will bring $300 and up. Better, quality, better grades are worth more, of course.
Old September 10, 1999, 01:32 AM   #3
Lucas

sjones:

Winchester model 12--my favorite shotgun. Sounds as if it's been used heavily and maybe reblued by an novice. The serial number might be hard to find as the rebluer may have "cleaned" the barrel a little "well".

From your description, I'd say maybe $200.

------------------
RKBA!