The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 14, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Wparrish

What to buy next?

I have bought a G19 and am looking to buy another 9mm. I am not a huge gun guy but am buying these to pass down to my sons when they get older for home defense. With everything going on I am not sure they will be able to buy anything when they are adults. I will be taking them to the range and using them for my own home defense. Looking for a full size. Kind of like the smith and Wesson M&P. or do I just buy another glock??
Old June 14, 2013, 04:20 PM   #2
g.willikers

Buying them for your boys?
Haw, some excuse.
We know who they're really for.
Have you checked out the Ruger SR9s?
Very nice and not expensive, either.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, I wouldn't buy another Glock ( or any Glock for that matter ) ....but it isn't about us telling you what to buy ....

Its about what fits your hands the best, what controls you like, what grip angle you like, what sights you like, ergonomics, etc...../ I can tell you to buy a Sig 226 ( good solid full sized gun, good investment in my view --- but they make about 20 different versions of the 226 ...with 3 or 4 different trigger systems...)....

I don't have any idea what you like ....get to a range that rents guns / and rent every 9mm in the case, even the glocks, and figure out what you like - and what you don't like.....
----------
and don't exclude revolvers necessarily ..../ and have fun with the process and figuring this stuff out

Last edited by BigJimP; June 14, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
SgtLumpy

Perhaps a nice handgun made out of something like, Oh I don't know, steel?

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
JWT

Unless you're really hung up on polymer striker guns take a look at the metal CZ offerings. Many to choose from and very reasonable prices for what they deliver.
Old June 15, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
skoro

Quote:
Looking for a full size. Kind of like the smith and Wesson M&P. or do I just buy another glock??
Just my two cents...

You already have a Glock, so you know what they're like. And a good choice. If it were me, I'd get the M&P next. Variety is the spice of life, they say. And I've had nothing but excellent service from my own M&P. With both firearms, you can compare and contrast to see which you prefer. And it could be that won't have a preference. They'll just have slight differences.
Old June 15, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
2ndsojourn

Browning Hi Power is a nice full size. Steel too.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8
kahrguy

I would buy another glock but the g34 . Makes for a good match gun or simply an accurate pistol with a match grade barrel added and a little trigger work.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Contrast Man

I'd say see if there's a range nearby that has a good rental selection. That way you get to hold and shoot a bunch of different pistols so you can have a physical notion of how certain guns feel over others. Personally, I love the feel of a Sig P226 in my hand, but I don't shoot it anywhere near as well as my CZ-75B.

If you're really looking for something different and decide to drop the 9mm requirement, revolvers would be an excellent way to go. There's a lot to choose from there as well, but S&W and Ruger both have affordable quality offerings.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Wparrish

What to buy next?

It's just hard to find these guns in stock where I am located!!
Old June 15, 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
AK103K

Since they are for the kids, Id probably go with either another 19, or a 17. The 19's can use the 17 mags, and it keeps things simple. If youre going that route, get one for yourself too.

I gave each of our boys a High Power for their first handguns, and I had one as well (still have it). HP's are great guns and good shooters, and have one of the most comfortable grips for a wide body, especially for smaller hands. Again, its also a plus when everyones guns take the same mags.

SIG's are also great guns, and the P226 is one of my favorites.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #12
YankeeIronSights

What to buy next?

A Beretta 92FS or a PX4 Storm would be a great second pistol for your sons.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Backwoodsboy

I second the Beretta 92fs idea or maybe an xd9
Old June 15, 2013, 08:37 PM   #14
SgtLumpy

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the two suggestions about a Beretta 92. That is a really BIG gripped, double stack magazine, long dbl action first trigger movement pistol. I think they're the cadillac of pistols. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. But mine is really too big for even my large adult sized mitts. For a youngster, it just might not be a great fit. I can't reach the magazine ejector button without rotating the gun in my hand, for example. The decocker is not intuitive and reachable like a 1911 safety lever. In other words, for me at least, once it's on target and ready to shoot, it's great. But working all the levers and buttons is not at all convenient.

Again, that's just how I see that pistol 2lb 9oz loaded, 1lb 15 oz unloaded if that helps you or anyone compare.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 16, 2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Backwoodsboy

Sgtlumpy, I suggested the 92 because the op said he wanted to hand down a full size pistol to his kids later in life as adults. Now having said that I will agree that is has a wide grip and for some, the controls can be hard to get used to. Once you do get used to the controls however it is a very nice firearm and is very easy to shoot well. I will also admit that it is a heavy firearm when compared to most other popular 9mm, but easy to get used to. In the end I am going to stand by my original recommendation, but that's just cause I love mine so much
Old June 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
I have bought a G19 and am looking to buy another 9mm. I am not a huge gun guy but am buying these to pass down to my sons when they get older for home defense. With everything going on I am not sure they will be able to buy anything when they are adults.

You never tell us the age of your boys or how much they have shot firearms already. If the guns truly are for your boys, outta fear that they may not be able to get what they really want later on in life, wouldn't askin' them what they may like make more sense than askin' strangers on the internet? Guns that I envision are to be passed down to my kids and grandkids are generally quality type firearms that will not go outta style or be unfix-able in 20 years or so. They are firearms that come from major reputable manufacturers and are proven models that are popular enough that there will be parts available for them in the future. If your boys are that young that adult size firearms are not appropriate, I suggest getting them something for now that is so they can have fun and success at the range with you. So many folks, because of the scarcity of available firearms right now are grabbin' anything they can get outta fear there will never be anymore. Be patient, guns are gonna be around for quite a while yet. The frenzy has already started to slow down. Take your time, do your research and make good choices on what suits you and your boys the best.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:04 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't care for the 92. Too many parts.

I'd also consider when the son grows to manhood and take a wife. It should fit her too. CZ-75.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
eman

If your getting something to pass down a Colt 1911 in 9mm would be a good choice.
You have a plastic gun (I like Glocks) now go with one that will hold some value and can be infinitely customized to suite your taste. There are more companies making parts and accessories for the 1911 than all the other models combined.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:24 PM   #19
SgtLumpy

In terms of the "pass down to my son" factor - Perhaps browse this and other forums for posts like "Here's a gun my dad (or grandad) passed down to me. Also consider that there are some individual guns from some makers that have been in service, working, and still doing their jobs, longer than some other gun companies have even been in business.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #20
chadio

Beretta 92FS
SIG Sauer P226
FN FNP-9
FN FNX-9
Old June 16, 2013, 05:38 PM   #21
horselips

All those everyday garden variety guns you see at your local gun shop will always be available, you can get one any time. And since almost everybody else has one, what's in it for you besides rank conformity? Don't be a firearms sheeple.

Treat yourself. And treat yourself well. Buy a 9mm that is guaranteed to appreciate every year without fail, regardless of economic conditions. In other words, ownership is not just free, but even profitable. Buy yourself a gun that automatically comes with mystique, lore, and real history.

Luger. Whether it's an Imperial model or from the Third Reich, nothing drips with so much class. Some 350 hand-fitting operations done to make each and every one. Unsurpassed craftsmanship. Broomhandle Mauser. The C-96. The original autoloader. Like the one that Churchill carried at Omdurman. Soooo cool. The P38 or its lower-cost and improved cousin, the Walther P1. Shades of the Greatest Generation and the Cold War.

You'll find to your delight and amazement that these firearms are every bit as reliable as anything else out there, that they are far better made, and surprisingly more accurate -often much more - than any polymer gun other than customized competition models. Especially the Lugers.

And you get one more thing no off-the-shelf, massed produced, cookie-cutter commercial cannon can give you - real pride and satisfaction of ownership.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:22 AM   #22
kahrguy

Wparrish Instock??!! Tell your dealer what you have an interest in and let them get you one in . I have not bought a in stock firearm in many years.

Our local general store is all ways able to find what is wanted and at his normal discounted price.

LIPSEY is one wholsale dealer that will show whats in stock and a retail price only. many handguns are out there if a lazy dealer will look.
http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?m...mi-Auto+Pistol
Old June 17, 2013, 02:33 PM   #23
ragwd

If this is to be a family keepsake to be passed down from generation to generation I would opt for something like a H&K or a Sig. Nothing wrong with the m&p or the glocks, both good solid dependable pistols. I own a few glocks, but if i was giving something to my kids, it would be something a little more special. If its just a good all around HD pistol then M&P or glock fits the bill, but if its something to make the great grandchildren go wow, Something a little more upscale. Ok Im putting on flame resistant suit now. Good luck with what very you chose.
Old June 17, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Dragline45

I don't have large hands and I shoot and handle the controls of the Beretta 92 fine. It doesn't fit me like a glove but its not uncomfortable at all and I shoot the pistol great. Although I found that the Hogue rubber non-finger groove grip panels really gave a much more positive and comfortable grip without adding any thickness and made handling the gun that much better. If these are going to be passed on and you want something in 9mm I would go with either the Beretta 92, Sig 229, or the slightly larger Sig 226, all quality and great looking guns.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:32 PM   #25
horselips

Remember -this is going to be a treasured family heirloom. A Timex is not an heirloom, a Rolex is. A Bic pen is not a family heirloom, a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck is. Paperbacks aren't, hard covers are. Nissan Sentras aren't. Datsun 240Zs are. Generic things aren't, personalized things are. An Uberti isn't, a Colt SAA is. Common, mass produced isn't, rare or collectible is. A plastic gun? Never.

I'd be happy to have any firearms handed down to me, who wouldn't? But I would much rather leave my kids something that has an intrinsic worth far beyond mere utility, and yet be fully operational, reliable, and effective. A firearm capable of evoking their curiosity, earning their respect and appreciation. Not just valued, but treasured. And having that cachet, mystique, lore, whatever, that will make them want to keep it, and pass it down to their heirs, and not just sell it after I'm gone.

Buy yourself a Luger. You'll not only fall in love with it, but it will make you want to live forever just to keep enjoying it.