The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 6, 2009, 06:08 PM   #1
bswiv

More on the boots......

Walked up on this guy while Louann and I were looking for turkeys on Saturday morning. If he had not been right out in the open we would never have seen him.

Wouldn't have seen him because we don't look for them.

My theory is that so long as you don't see him chances are you won't have a heart attack or break a leg and throw a back out getting away from him.

I back that odd logic up by wearing a good pair of snake boots almost all the time. And sense where we hunt it's usually somewhat wet the boots being waterproof is a bonus.

Truth is though that my OLD pair of Irish Setters is way past waterproof but, and this is important as we walk a lot, they are very comfortable. Louann has a pair of the Danners Pronghorns that she feels the same way about.

I know you said that you wanted to stay away from a lace up, and I will admit that the Irish Setters have a pile of laces, but fact is that a lace up boot is usually easier to get to fit a foot correctly. That's a positive that negates to a great extent the time in lacing them.

I still remember my father telling me something he learned in the Army, something about comfortable feet........... Buy good boots that fit correctly if you plan on walking a lot.

And no we did not kill him. Louann did have a few pokes at him with a stick but we left him to do his thing unharmed.
Old April 6, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
RedneckFur

That snake is a beauty. I'll give ya a big +1 for not killing it and letting it live. My mother taught me as a kid that snakes are amazing, beautiful creatures. Somtimes I think I'm the only one that feels that way.
Old April 6, 2009, 06:18 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I leave all non-venomous snakes alone. The only venomous ones I kill are the ones with in close proximity to the house (dog yard) or very near the farms where we run dogs for hogs.
Brent
Old April 6, 2009, 06:29 PM   #4
cornbush

+1 on the close to the house, the ones that do get popped are great on the grill though
Old April 6, 2009, 06:46 PM   #5
ZeroJunk

What is that? Looks like a copper headed rattle moccasin.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
bswiv

Young cotton mouth. They lose their colors as they get bigger I think.

Agree that they are beautiful. Over the years Louann has gone through near on a hundred as pets. Most of them would tame up easy, even the bigger ones that she caught out in the woods.

I'm with ya'll on the "near the house" exception.........
Old April 7, 2009, 05:51 AM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
I leave all non-venomous snakes alone. The only venomous ones I kill are the ones with in close proximity to the house (dog yard) or very near the farms where we run dogs for hogs.
Brent
That is the same philosophy I take now. Not so when I was a kid, I used to kill every rattler I'd see to collect their rattles. Wasn't uncommon to kill 3-4 big boys a summer 4+ foot snakes. As I got older I stopped seeing all the snakes I saw as a kid and I started letting them go unless they were near the house.
Old April 7, 2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

A young one? I'd see that and wet myself. I hate snakes.