The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
kwells6

coyote hunting tactics help

I've been trying to find them, but I am failing. I cannot seems to even get a response to my e-calls. any hints?
Old March 23, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
cornbush

How heavy is the hunting pressure in the area? A puppy in distress will bring most out, not always in range but you'll know they are there.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
wyobohunter

I don't know how the frost situation is in central Arkansas. If you get early morning frost (snow???) you could attempt a mechanized pursuit. That has bean working ok for me. Also, maybe bait (if it's legal).
Old March 23, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
COYOTE JLR

http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

This is a great site with lots of information that should help you out. The section at the top titled "The Beginning" has a ton of great advice and I would suggest checking that out first.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:56 AM   #5
kwells6

the only hunting that goes on is this location is deer hunting and its untouched for the rest of the year.

what do you mean by mechanized persuit?
Old March 24, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mechanized = 4 wheeler snow machine or 4 wheel drives as for as I know...
In florida "pursuit" of any animal is "molestation of wild life" on the citation...
Old March 24, 2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've used wounded-rabbit tapes as well as a mouth-blown call. Night time, I call, wait, call, and then if nobody shows up to play I move on. Daytime, I sit out of sight of the edge of an open area, playing the wind. First calls are a bit loud and then after the first burst of agony I tone it down in volume. Then wheeze and whine sorta softly.

I've tried other critter-tapes, but the rabbit works best for me.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:59 PM   #8
kwells6

as far as i know, the same law stands here as in FL. but ny cousins in Nevada drive around in their trucks and play calls to get shots...

the problem with the wind in this location is that its never the same direction... its a cleared mountain top about 100 yds wide and 600 yds long with a HUGE walnut in the dead center of it all. i cant sit on either side, cause the terrain crests in the middle, so i'd only be able to see maybe 40 yds.

I've settled on using my Remington 700 ADL in .243 with 52gr HPBTs or my Stevens 200 in .223 with 75gr HPBT Match rounds
Old March 24, 2009, 02:52 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

I don't what Coyote JLR is seeing but CoyoteGods is one of the lamest sites for hunting out there and see's about as much action as a fat ugly kid at prom time. Go where the pros hang out http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:58 PM   #10
jdscholer

Quote:
as far as i know, the same law stands here as in FL. but my cousins in Nevada drive around in their trucks and play calls to get shots...
Guys who drive around in their trucks and play calls to get shots at coyotes are responsible for training more coyotes against coming to calls than the anti-hunting movement could ever hope for. They also look pretty stupid and lazy to boot.

Excuse my rather strong opinion, or don't, but this kind of "hunting?" is illegal in most states, and looks bad in all of them.

For my fellow hunters with physical disabilities, disregard my comments. For those without any disabilities, get out of your trucks and try a little walking. You might actually enjoy it, and you'll damn sure have better results. jd
Old March 25, 2009, 01:07 PM   #11
wyobohunter

In Alaska it is perfectly legal to use a snow machine to position yourself for a shot at a fur bearing animal. It is legal to follow tracks and get into position. The vehicle (snow machine in this case) must be shut off and not moving before a shot can be made.

It is not legal to "run down" a fur bearer.

When I said mechanized pursuit I didn't think about the exact wording I was using, an actual pursuit or "running them down" would be illegal. Following tracks and positioning oneself for a shot is not.