The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
jbyerly

Lee shell holder question from a new reloader

I just bought out a friends reloading gear, 3 shotshell reloaders, a Lyman turret press, a whole bunch of SWC bullets and assorted other stuff. In the box was a Lee Auto Prime, can anyone direct me to a chart or page that shows which shell holders fir which caliber. I am sure this is the first of many questions, thanks in advance.
Old April 14, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Yoosta B. Blue

Welcome, jbyerly, to the wonderful world of reloading! This forum is a great resource to avail yourself of and there are many helpful enthusiasts who will happily help.

Here is a chart with some shellholder info that will show you what goes with what. (You'll need to scroll down aways...)

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/cat...l#Shellholders

Yoosta B. Blue
Old April 15, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Leeman

The chart should be on the bottom of the box.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:49 AM   #4
.45 Vet

Bear in mind that the AUTO-PRIME requires it's own special shell-holders. I think Mid-Way still has the entire elevin piece set still on sale.
Old April 15, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
wncchester

IF you need to buy a Lee primer shell holder, spend the money to buy the assortment kit of 11 holders. It's such a good price it will save you money in the long run if you need more than a couple.

The Lee primer tool shell holders have the same numbers as their press type holders. And both are made the same but the primer holders don't have the lower half that fits into the slots of a press ram. When I've needed primer holders that Lee doesn't make (for old obsolete cartridges) I've annealed standard press type holders and then hacksawed off the bottom part, worked fine.
Old April 16, 2008, 11:41 PM   #6
jhansman

You can also download the directions for the Autoprime, which has the shell holder chart in it:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/PT1023.pdf
Old April 17, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7
gandog56

But do be aware that even though the set says UNIVERSAL shellholder set, it isn't. I had to order a separate one for my 7.62X54R.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Leeman

Now you can appreciate the empty hole in the box.