The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2014, 01:50 AM   #26
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Under your view, if deer become a nuisance, you could do the same to them right? All bets are off once they reach nuisance status, right? Just sling lead - spray and pray to the maximum extent possible with nuisances, correct? I mean, what's your criteria for when one shot, one kill is the ethics that the species deserves?
I've personally seen Hogs devastate whole fields of corn and soybeans in less than a week's time. They are more than just a nuisance, they are making it impossible for some farmers to make a living. While deer do cause problems, they are no where near the issue that Hogs are, simply because of a Hog's ability to quickly reproduce(a sow can begin reproducing within 6 months, and can become pregnant again 3 months giving birth). Now, i don't consider killing hogs as hunting. I consider it eradication. This is an invasive species(which is why many states in the south do not require a license to kill it, or have any sort of bag limit. The DNR doesn't consider it a "game" animal.) which is not only screwing up the balance of nature, but it is causing some farmers to lose their farms. That's unacceptable to me. While i personally haven't lost a Hog, i wouldn't lose any sleep if i did. Another animal will find it and take care of the remains. That's the circle of life. Would i prefer to kill it quickly? Of course, but i think eliminating as many as possible is a positive thing.

Quote:
Your attitude makes me ill, and paints all hunters in a bad light in the eyes of the general public. Those are facts.
Actually 1 of those statements is a fact, the other is your opinion.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Last edited by Brotherbadger; April 7, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old April 8, 2014, 06:51 PM   #27
publius

I've killed pigs with the little Barnes in my AR. They work great. The only thing I would want you to do different is don't bother with taking the time for a headshot on the first one. take the first lung shot available and move to the next one. KILL THEM ALL!
Old April 9, 2014, 08:39 PM   #28
reynolds357

My favorite hog gun is an old SKS. I bought it for $79 and beat it all to hell long before they became worth $400 in pristine condition.