The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Ruger480

Which handgun for grizzly?

I have 2 handguns, a 480 SRH and 10mm with 15 round capacity. If you guys were going into bear country, which would you take?
Old March 19, 2014, 07:35 PM   #2
JD0x0

I would personally prefer a rifle. If I had the choice between the two cartridges you listed I'd probably take the 10mm with some stout loads behind a 200grain (or heavier) bullet.

Both will 'work.' the semi auto, having higher capacity, and likely capable of higher rate of fire, would be my preference.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:36 PM   #3
waveslayer

If you can shoot accurately .44 and bigger. If you want 15 rounds 10mm. I would carry both
Old March 19, 2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Ruger480

Quote:
If you can shoot accurately .44 and bigger.
Yes, I can. I just can't decide between capacity or the extra power.

Quote:
If I had the choice between the two cartridges you listed I'd probably take the 10mm with some stout loads behind a 200grain (or heavier) bullet.
I'd probably use 200 grain Underwoods.

Last edited by Ruger480; March 19, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Through the years of answers to this very common question, the Alaska guys seem to figure that maybe a .454 Casull might be a good starting point.

The deal is not about killing, in a hunting sense. It's about stopping, which generally means breaking heavy bones and/or deep penetration.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Ruger480

So your suggesting the 480 then?
Old March 19, 2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Me? I plead "iggerance". From the standpoint of control of a powerful handgun, I'd likely stop at the Casull. The only one I ever shot was a 6" Taurus Raging Bull; it was quite controllable. Since it would be a limited-use critter, I doubt it would have a quality-control or durability problem.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:57 PM   #8
jmr40

I'd carry my G-20 loaded with 16 rounds of 200 gr Double Tap @ 1300 fps. I know it isn't nearly as powerful, but those loads are going to give almost as much penetration. Not nearly the energy or diameter, but the penetration might be just as important.

I base my decision on 2 things.

#1. The 480 is a HUGE gun that could very easily get left behind just when needed. Honestly, there are a lot of small lightweight carbines I'd rather carry all the time than lug one of those things around. The G-20 will be on you all the time. Possibly as back up to a rifle. I view the big bore revolvers as a primary hunting weapon more than a SD weapon.

#2. Stopping an animal that size before it can get to you with anything less than a large bore magnum rifle requires as much luck as anything else. The 10mm gives you 16 chances to get in a lucky hit vs 5-6 with a big bore revolver.

Truth is a can of bear spray is probably a better choice than either.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:09 PM   #9
40-82

I'd take the 480. I'd be curious to know the general area you intend to travel in. In much of grizzly country the density of grizzly bears is less than one per three hundred square miles, and a weapon is more a matter of insurance with the true likelihood of encountering a grizzly being quite small. In other areas you can expect bear encounters as the norm. If you're heading into an area with a high bear density, I would strongly advise a rifle or better a twelve gauge shotgun.

Once you've been within thirty feet of a brown bear a few times, a rifle or a shotgun no longer feels heavy. In fact the idea of being out of reach of a shotgun or a rifle makes you feel a little sick, but if you do carry a rifle or a shotgun by no means leave the big sixgun. A big sixgun may not be perfect, but it is always there.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Ruger480

I know this question has been asked 1000 times by twice as many people, so I thank you all for your answers. I suppose I'll just take both on my trip and decide what to carry into the woodline when I hit camp.
Thanks again
Old March 19, 2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Ruger480

For the record, I'm headed to the Bob Marshall area in Montana to chase elk. I forgot to mention that this is back up to my '06. In hind sight, I should have mentioned that to start with.
Old March 19, 2014, 10:48 PM   #12
shortwave

I'd take the 480 cause... well...I have one and don't have a 10mm.

Seriously, if you shoot the 480 well, I'd take it. Along with some spray. It's going to be your backup gun, more then likely used only in case of an attack that will most likely happen quickly and at a very short distance without a chance to get 10 half accurate shots off let alone 15.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Dirty_Harry

Disclaimer* I have no experience, and I probably never will.

I would take the one you shoot better. The extra rounds of the 10mm isnt really a perk, as you will be lucky to get 2 shots off in a charge.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old March 20, 2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't know if I would want to tangle with a grizz period. To purposely try and stand one's ground on a bear charge especially a big full grown grizz's only having a revolver to rely on. Nope not for this old Irish rooster I know my limitations. Being a total surprise event {which would be more likely.} Where the bear see's you before you seeing it and standing tough. That's not courage. That's frozen in the headlights behavior. As it's said for everything in life >bigger is always better.< In this case I would have to agree with a member of Staff. 454 Casull or 500 S&W and having a pocket full of bullets would sure ease a little stress. Reason for my preference. I shot a friends 454 Casull Ruger once in the past and know first hand the energy it produced. If a 500 S&W measures up to being the same. Either would be a marginal choice.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:39 AM   #15
40-82

The presence of the 30-06 causes me to change my answer. I would go with the 10mm because I imagine it would be lighter. Good luck on the elk hunt. Let us know how it went, and, of course, whether you saw any grizzlies.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:30 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger480:

Which handgun for grizzly?
In all seriousness, as a backup to a primary gun, the slim odds that you'll need to use it, along with the facts that show us, that in the majority of cases, handgun caliber is a moot point in the eventual outcome of a legitimate grizzly attack, I say take the one that carries the easiest along with bear spray.
Old March 20, 2014, 12:27 PM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

Facts are, I don't hunt anywhere but Oklahoma, so that makes my pretty impervious to things like, shark attacks or being mauled by grizzly bears. This thread however, did arouse my curiosity about what kind of time you would have, to make a decent shot if it did happen.

After a little research I found that a grizzly can run at a speed of approximately
35 MPH which translates into roughly 51 feet per second or 50 yards in 3 seconds. I would think that by the time I figured out the bear was actually attacking, he would have covered at least 1/2 of that distance which would leave me around 1 1/2 seconds to draw a weapon and fire a well placed shot.

Moral of the story is I don't think having either pistol is going to keep me from being bear poop.
Old March 20, 2014, 01:08 PM   #18
Idaho rockchucker

Fishing from river banks in Alaska I trust my life to a 460s&w with 350gn+ heavy cast .
They will stop a charging grizz and if you do miss the muzzle flash and noise dose detour them to.
Just my .02C
Old March 20, 2014, 01:15 PM   #19
doofus47

Someone help an old guy out: a few years ago, one of the departments in Alaska actually did a detailed look at violent bear encounters.
I can't remember the exact stats nor how it was worded from but I was surprised that 25% of the gun users never had time to actually use their gun b/c the encounter happened so fast.
So, between the two, I would say that capacity is not going to be your main issue. Getting to your piece quickly putting it on target quickly will be the first hurdles.

That said, the report also pointed out that bear spray was more effective than guns insofar as the encounters where the users used spray to defend themselves more often ended with fewer injuries to the humans.

Oh, and stop wearing bacon aroma after shave!
Old March 20, 2014, 01:22 PM   #20
BWM

The 10 will do very well.
Old March 20, 2014, 04:11 PM   #21
Ruger480

Well, I look at like this: on the one hand, 200 grain Underwood ammo advertises 670(?) ft lbs. of ME. I would have 14 shots with my 10mm.
Conversely, my 480 with Hornady 325 grain ammo gives about 1325 ft lbs of ME. With six shots.
So, I can double the round count (approximately) and get half the ME. Or double the ME and get half the number of shots. Provided I don't die of fright when seeing a grizzly charge me, I expect that even when I get knocked to the ground I should be able to draw and fire my weapon.
Old March 20, 2014, 05:33 PM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger480:

Provided I don't die of fright when seeing a grizzly charge me, I expect that even when I get knocked to the ground I should be able to draw and fire my weapon.
If your gun isn't drawn by the time the grizzly is upon you......you're better off playing dead and hope he goes away.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:35 PM   #23
WV_gunner

I'd go with the 10mm.

If it could be any handgun, I'd choose a BFR .45-70
Old March 21, 2014, 01:40 AM   #24
Brotherbadger

I'd take whatever gun you are more proficient with. In addition to that, bring bear spray. If given the option, take a rifle/shotgun with.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 21, 2014, 02:30 AM   #25
stonedog406

Keep in mind that whatever you choose to carry in the BOB, you will be carrying it. That is to say, there is a lot of country to cover and weight considerations will be greater once you are there and into a hunt the first day. When you are at the trailhead, it is easy; once you get a few miles in...differnet story!

I normally carry a 7 1/2" 44 mag on my hip on horseback, but when it's time to get on my own two legs for the day, it makes you wish for a chest harness and a lighter, more easier to wield gun. I carry spray as well.

The Bob Marshall is a neat place and if you are hunting early rifle (or bow for that matter) get yourself a camelback type of pack and bring a katedyne water purifier. It can be warm that time of year and there is a lot of hiking involved, and you will go through a lot of water.

Do you know where you are going for your hunt yet?