The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 2, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
mw702

Will I be able to buy a firearm?

I was just wondering if anybody could help me out or give me some insight in my situation. First I have Juvenile felonies(non violent or drug charges) in the State of Nevada which automatically seals your records at 21 years old unless they have to do with some type of sexual offense. Second issue is kinda complicated. At 19 years old I was originally charged with a felony. Non violent. But was offered a deal that gave me a suspended sentence of 2 years. Was put on probation for 2 years instead and if I completed probation after 2 years it would be a gross misdemeanor which is what happened. My problem is that federal law states that a person is prohibited from owning a firearm if convicted of a crime punishable by more than 1 year in jail. But Nevada Revised Statutes states that a gross misdemeanor can only have a maximum of not more than one year in jail. NRS 193.40. if anybody wants to look it up. So i dont know if that suspended sentence of 2 years was a mistake by the judge or it is connected to the original
charge meaning if I did not successfully finish my probation then I would be charged with the felony which would have made me a person who is prohibited from owning a firearm anyways. Sounds weird but does anyone get what I trying to ask here. By the way Im 34 years old now. That was 15 years ago. I have been an outstanding citizen since. I have a family. I have a college degree. No adult felonies, drug charges or domestic violence charges on my record. Do I fall under state and federal law and being able to own a firearm and do you think I would pass the nics background check? Has anybody on this forum ever purchased a firearm with juvenile record and a gross misdemeanor?
Old June 3, 2012, 12:00 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

Have your attorney contact the BATF and inquire on your behalf. The BATF can respond in writing, much better than whatever us sea lawyers can tell you.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
oneounceload

Sorry, IMO, yo having multiple felonies would not make ME feel great about you having guns - both as juvie and an adukt

You obviously have some issue you need to resolve before I would want you owning anything sharper than a butter knife
Old June 3, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
mw702

TO mr oneounce load

This was my first time on this forum and from reading most of the threads and replies seemed to be a respectable place. Then i get this reply from oneounceload who just seems to be on here not to give any type of useful information but to try and discourage people. Not knowing anything about me and who I am. Yeah its your opinion. So here is mine. Judging from your character mr oneounceload what idiot just surfs the net to talk about people do you not have anything better to do? Lol... Im not going to even go further in this matter. Just to anybody reading this please report people like mr oneounceload that makes forums like this very unjoyable to be in....
Old June 3, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
mw702

Sorry to everyone else!!!

One more thing....lol. Mr. oneounceload learn how to spell and write before you judge me.. Quoting Mr oneounceload ( yo having multiple felonies would not make ME feel great about you having guns) Get an education you backwoods hick. I have a college degree from a prestigious university. Your probably a high school dropout. I can probably build a gun. You would shoot yourself in the foot. lol.......... Sorry to everyone else.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, mw702! I haven't looked at the Nevada statutes on this, but kilimanjaro nailed the issue. You need to to talk to a lawyer who: (a) is licensed in Nevada; (b) works with firearms law; and (c) knows something about restoration of rights.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
FrosSsT

Quote:
Sorry, IMO, yo having multiple felonies would not make ME feel great about you having guns - both as juvie and an adukt

You obviously have some issue you need to resolve before I would want you owning anything sharper than a butter knife
Just because someone has been convicted of something does not give people the right to label them as non responsible. He has a record, so what? Casey anythony and OJ were found INNOCENT of their crimes thus being able to obtain a firearm legally in the states in which they live. Would you feel comfortable having one of them in possession of a firearm, just because a judge found them "innocent"...?
Old June 3, 2012, 08:04 PM   #8
oneounceload

sorry mw702, but older thumbs do get the best of me and my typing at times - but a multiple convict of several felonies like you should NEVER be allowed near a gun

Having spent over 23 years in NV I would vote no

too bad if you disagree
Old June 3, 2012, 08:18 PM   #9
mw702

Thanks guys I appreciate that! I know that I should not get worked up about the few ignorant people on here. Im sure there are more respectable people on this forum then the few dumb asses! But back to the subject! I have contacted a lawyer and he says that it does not sound like Im prohibited, but he will check on it for me. I just want to be sure first before I state on the nics background check that I have never been convicted of a felony. Because in Nevada your juvenile records automatically gets sealed at 21 years old and you are allowed to state on any application even if you applied to the police department that you have never been convicted as a felon. Does it ask on the nics background check application if you ever been convicted as a felon including juvenile offenses?
Old June 3, 2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

mw702, the form that you'll have to fill out to buy from an FFL is the 4473 form. It can be found here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
Old June 3, 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

The best response was the first one.

Closed for declining civility.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread