The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Going to pick up by new Buckmark

I've got a new Buckmark .22 waiting for me to pick up at the LGS. Does it need to be cleaned or anything before I use it or any other prep work?
Old November 28, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
DAdams

IIRC correctly you should always consult the Instructional Literature..

I don't recall cleaning mine other than the barrel for obstructions and a light rail lube job.

I think you will enjoy it. They are a fun semiauto. Iv'e dumped a bunch of different rim fire through mine.

Edmar Mednis

Last edited by DAdams; November 28, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

jealous of your rail
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 28, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

It depends a lot on the manufacturer,,,

Both of my CZ pistols were literally swimming in packing oil,,,
It took an hour per pistol to get them ready to shoot.

My Ruger semi's were ready to go right out of the box.

I always wipe off any excess oil and grease from a new gun,,,
Then do a normal cleaning/lube of the action,,,
It may not be absolutely necessary,,,
I just figure "Why not".

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 28, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
geetarman

Good choice on the Buckmark.

Do yourself a favor and look on Midway Shooting Supplies web site and look for Picatinny rails for the gun.

Get the one with the integral rear sight.

Replace the stock plastic base on your gun and when you are ready for a red dot sight, the gun will be ready.

Unless Browning has changed sight bases in the last year or so, they are plastic and tend to shoot loose. The metal base is MUCH better.

My son and I both have a Buckmark complete with the red dot sights. Bushnell TWS-25 is a pretty good one.

I just put that base and sight on a Buckmark for a friend and the total cost was $175 and the shipping was free.

Took all of 15 minutes to accomplish.

If your gun did not come with a fiber optic light tube for the front sight, they are a worthwhile change to your gun. The green tube really picks up the light for a nice aiming point. You can pick up the whole kit at Bass Pro or Cabelas and probably Midway also.

The instructions for the newer guns does not tell you how to fieldstrip your gun. I would advise you to heed the manual.

I have close to 5000 rounds through mine and the slide has never come off the gun. Clean the bolt face and breech face and you might snake the bore in a year or so.

Keep the rails a little wet. The frame is aluminum and if you run it dry, you can gall the surfaces. You don't want to do that.

I shoot mine every week and it just keeps on running. As long as I am running Mini Mags through it, there are no problems other than a dud round.

I don't use bulk Federal ammo in the gun. CCI runs smoothly.

Enjoy the gun. You have a great shooter that should last you for years.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 28, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've got a new Buckmark .22 waiting for me to pick up at the LGS. Does it need to be cleaned or anything before I use it or any other prep work?
All new guns should be cleaned and lubricated thouroughly before firing as far as I'm concerned.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
wbw

If you actually take the gun apart to clean it, be careful. There are small clips and springs that will fly everywhere if you don't contain them upon taking the gun apart.

It's a great gun and I love mine. I just don't take it apart any more to clean it.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw
If you actually take the gun apart to clean it, be careful. There are small clips and springs that will fly everywhere if you don't contain them upon taking the gun apart.

It's a great gun and I love mine. I just don't take it apart any more to clean it.
My gun looks similar to that. How do you clean it without taking it apart. I definitely don't want springs flying all over the place.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Agreed. Folks complain about about the Ruger pistol's takedown, but in my opinion, the Buck Mark's is much trickier due to the need for tools, and the tiny and easily lost parts (screws, little plastic buffer thing).

Regardless, though, the Buck Mark's a great pistol. You're gonna be really happy with it.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
geetarman

Quote:
How do you clean it without taking it apart.
If you have a newer Buckmark, they have removed instructions for fieldstripping from the manual.

There is a reason for it.

There is probably more damage done to those guns by taking them apart than by leaving them alone.k

If you clean the breech faces and lube the rails, that gun will probably outlast you. You do NOT need to fieldstrip the gun.

I do field strip my other guns but I have never taken the slide off a Buckmark and I don't intend to. It just is not required.

Carpe Cerveza

Last edited by geetarman; November 29, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
wbw

My owner's manual does tell how to field strip, but after doing it once and having to call Browning to get needed springs and clips, I don't do it any more. I pull some patches through and lube. I would not hesitate to buy the Browning.

I have never owned a Ruger Mark .22 but have heard that the reassembly on them is more difficult than the Browning. But they are well respected pistols also.