The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
AndyWest

First AR optic?

Sorry, I know this is asked all the time so I'll try to be specific to my needs.

Colt LE6920 SOCOM II 5.56 1:7 twist, shooting 62gr. Mostly paper hunting, indoor / daylight outdoor ranges from 50-200 yards. Small zoom, my eyesight is average. Budget around $300-$500 but I'm willing to go higher for quality. I'd prefer to keep my BUIS fixed front, flip up rear in place.

This probably reduces my options from infinite to billions but even general advice or brands would help. Thanks, TFL!
Old November 28, 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
JimDandy

I'll go with my tried and true, Vortex Strikefire, and VMX3 magnifier with swing-out mount. With the SOCOM II I belive you already have a rail all the way forward. So you can mount the Strikefire a slot or two ahead of where I can, which will let you fit the VMX3 behind it, and co-witness with your sights.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
shrewd

How about this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/525...-reticle-matte
Old November 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4
AndyWest

JimDandy: Yes, the SOCOM II has DD quad rails all the way forward, attached is a pic. As you can see, rails are slightly off-center but I didn't think this would matter for mounting primary optics. Won't a Vortex Strikefire and VMX3 mount in the space I have?

shrewd: I order most of my stuff from MidwayUSA and love it Have you used that Burris?

Thanks guys for the responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M4top.jpg (100.1 KB, 42 views)
Old November 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #5
riggins_83

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/453...tte-aa-battery
Old November 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
alex0535

^+1 on that guys suggestion.

I have a Burris Fastfire III 3 moa on my revolver and its an awesome little optic, its built with a level of quality that I know they make great optics that I would recommend to others.

From what I gather the reticle is black, and illuminated green or red so it can be used without power or with it. Can reach out to 500 yards, so at 200 it should be very good. 3X magnification, they also make a 5x but that might be a bit more magnification than you need.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
shrewd

I've never used it but its been on my midway wish list ever since I bought my stag.

I was an iron sights guy but eventually went with a red dot sight. It's been 2 years and my vortex SPARC still works great and I get hits out to 400 on steel (what a holdover!)

Burris makes good products though. Tell you what, buy it and if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands
Old November 28, 2012, 02:52 PM   #8
teeroux

Andy in that pic of your AR-15 it looks like your handguard is misaligned to your upper reciever. The top rails are slightly offset.

Note: I just noticed you mentioned it in your post.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Skadoosh

I have the Burris AR-332 and highly recommend it. Very well made and rugged. Excellent optic for inside 500 yards. I have mine sitting on a LaRue QD mount.

I removed the rails on mine.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
AndyWest

Quote:
Tell you what, buy it and if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands
You have yourself a deal, shrewd I'm waiting for Midway to re-stock stuff on my wish-list then I'll add the Burris to my order.

Quote:
looks like your handguard is misaligned to your upper reciever
Teeroux it is misaligned I hate that minor fact on an otherwise top-quality rifle. I'd appreciate any tips on adjusting these rails, it seems complicated.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:25 PM   #11
JimDandy

They will fit on yours, easily because of the handguard is railed. They fit on my 6920MP-B but not while letting me keep my BUIS mounted, to do that I'll have to change out to a DD Omega handguard, and slide everything forward about an inch, all in all a better choice anyway, as the red dot acts like the front sight. At that point, with everything set right, I'll be looking through my rear sight, through the magnifier, at the red dot on my front sight post holding on the target. In theory anyway, better shots would probably do it better than I.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:34 PM   #12
scsov509

Quote:
I'd appreciate any tips on adjusting these rails, it seems complicated.
Loosen the bolts and realign it using a carry handle, works like a charm.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Xfire68

Andy, take it a step up for the same price! The 5x Prism for $350!

Ordered one this week for a friend and I am tempted to order one for my gals AR.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_A...p/bu300210.htm
Old November 29, 2012, 01:22 AM   #14
AndyWest

Thanks all for the tips and pics. Looks like I'll go with one of those Burris models. They look short, will they clear/co-witness my fixed front sight without a riser? If not, I wouldn't mind a QD...

BTW I fixed the rail alignment. Clamped on a sling mount between the upper and front rail then screwed everything together. Took forever for such a minor adjustment but it was annoying me
Old December 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
breakingcontact

I am absolutely thrilled with this.

I studied this heavily. You're looking to spend more than I was so you have more options though.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:35 AM   #16
Rob96

I was looking for glass to put on my 18" AR and went with the Nikon M223 1x-4x in a Burris PEPR mount. Very clear glass. On 1x can shoot with both eyes open.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:38 PM   #17
AndyWest

Fastfire III mount?

I'm ordering the Burris 536. If I order a Fastfire III to go with it, do I need the Picatinny mount version?
Old December 16, 2012, 03:14 PM   #18
alex0535

I would say yes

I think it would sit a little bit too low without the mount, and unless burris makes a more suitable one I think you would want the one with picatinny mount. It would make it sit high enough to not be obscured by the knobs on top of the AR-536.

I think its the most versatile mount for the Burris Fastfire III, it can be taken off and put on anything with a rail. You really only need a different mount if you plan to put it on a handgun or something without a rail.

Its something to consider, if you get one you will instantly feel like it has a place on any platform you put it on.