The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2000, 04:29 PM   #1
TheOtherMikey

I am looking for a nice wildcat caliber for the 6.5 Swede. My action is pristine and I would like to come up with a neck size of .22 or, at the most, .243 (6 mm). I want to use it for varmints at ranges up to and exceeding 500 yds. Thanks, Mikey.
Old March 26, 2000, 09:05 PM   #2
Bud Helms

T.O.M.,

The 6.5x55mm is a pretty good varmint cartridge as is. Have you thought about using it just like it is?
Old March 26, 2000, 11:07 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Why bother.... [I wonder aloud !]....the 'Swedish Masterpiece' can shoot all weights of projectile from 95gn to 160gn due to its heavy twist rate. It is a lovely calibre to shoot I do agree.

But instead of a neck-down...how about a 'neck-up' to a bigger calibre like 8mm.. or just 30cal ?
Old March 27, 2000, 03:07 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

Thanks fellas. I have throught about keeping it just as is but I really want to put together a small caliber rifle for small varmints. The 6.5 (.263) is a little big, even using 100gr projectiles. Maybe I'll just use another receiver as a basis for building up a rifle. I like to make 'em myself but like wildcats because it doesn't require any bolt face modification. Regards, Mikey.