The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #1
rbursek

257+P Bob vs 257AI

In the late 80,s I made up some 257AI for myself and my sons, but now with the regular 257 +P loads is there any real advantage to the 257AI, In Noslers load info there is only about 150fps differance betwee the AI and the Bob which when I emailed Nosler, the Bob data is for a regular Bob not the +P's, I can not seemed to find load data for a +P load except to look at Winchester's catolog specs for the 257Bob+P.
Any help here from the pros would be appreciated.
TIA,
Bob
Old October 18, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2
black mamba

The AI version should give 50-100 fps more than the Roberts at the same pressure, whatever that is in +P (should still be under 62k psi).

I shoot a .35 Whelen AI, and the main benefit for me over the standard round is lower pressure and longer case life with the sharper shoulder, which almost eliminates brass flow into the neck.
Old October 18, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
rbursek

Ya, the case life and lack of trimming seems to be the only advantage, other then an extra 100fps give or take with what bullet weight being used, since they came out with the +P level.
Bob