The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 6, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
mesabi

SPS tactical

So I am feeling like it is time to make my SPS tactical my own. Currently it is stock with Leupold rings, bases, and a mueller apv. I like the feel of the Hogue stock however, it has no bedding and is not free floating. The x-mark trigger is leaving something to be desired.

I am torn between B&C, HS, and AICS. I like the look of the AICS and I have not heard one negative review. I do have a question I have not found an answer for. Can the rifle be single loaded with those mags or is it too much of a hassle? The B&C of choice would be the m40 in OD and the HS would be the m24 stock. I could always add CDI bottom metal for those, but not at the top of the list of things to do.

As far as rings and bases, what have you guys had the best luck with? I hear a lot of EGW. I do not feel like I have the need for the 20 MOA rail yet. Are there any reasonably priced one piece rings and bases that work well?

Trigger, I am looking at the Timney flat trigger. David Tubb talks highly enough about them, but I have never seen anyone running one. Anyone have any experience?

The scope I do believe to be decided. The Weaver tactical 5-15 with mil adjustments. Again, anyone else have any experience to sway my interest elsewhere?
Old January 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Chet Punisher

You can check out my blog, but I am no expert and am learning as I go.

I'm 90% sure I'm gonna get the B&C M40 (#1000)... Is there a reason you want to update the scope? Are you unhappy with it? Or did it come on the rifle when you bought it? I have the EGW 20 MOA HD bases... They are pretty nice.

I went with the Bushnell Elite Tactical scope. It is a budget scope, but came with a lot of great reviews.

Keep us up to date on your project...

Here is another forum for you:

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=11
Old January 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
mesabi

It was a great budget scope however, I am not needing the price to be first determining factor anymore. It has worked great on my CZ, Remington, and I have full confidence it will work great on a sporter weight .308 I get someday. Perhaps if I worked up the courage to have my bubba Springfield drilled and tapped it could sit on there.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
buerg55e

Timney trigger

The AICS stock looks nice but $1100 stock on a 700$ gun makes me laugh at the idea of buying one.

On another note...
I dropped a timney trigger in my SPS today and I'm having trouble with it. Went in easily but where the bolt has been fully engaged with the stock trigger the timney hammer won't throw, I have to ease the bolt handle back up just tenths of an inch before it completes firing....any ideas???
Old February 1, 2013, 12:43 AM   #5
allaroundhunter

The thing about the AICS stocks are, you either love 'em, or you hate 'em. I have never met anyone that said, "Eh, it's okay."

My opinion is that the AICS is a rather large stock.... and I think 20" barrels in an AICS chassis just looks silly... But that's just me

I personally would rather put it in a McMillan and have it bedded for less cost (and McMillan's look nicer IMO).

What is your budget for a scope? How far do you intend to shoot the gun? What applications (i.e. range gun, tactical competition)?

Quote:
On another note...
I dropped a timney trigger in my SPS today and I'm having trouble with it. Went in easily but where the bolt has been fully engaged with the stock trigger the timney hammer won't throw, I have to ease the bolt handle back up just tenths of an inch before it completes firing....any ideas???
Those triggers are supposed to be "drop in" fits. It giving you that problem is an AD waiting to happen, IMO. You should take it to a gunsmith to have it looked at before you take it to the range.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Saltydog235

So your choices are a $250.00 stock, a $400-500.00 stock and a $1,100.00 stock. I'd do some more research on that aspect. For the rifle you have, a B&C Medalist in one of its configurations with a Wyatt Outdoor Mag Kit would probably serve you beyond what you need.

One piece base ring combo with a 20 MOA, a DNZ might fit the bill, really robust and lightweight.

Timney triggers are awesome. I put one in my project rifle for last year and it was a vast improvement over the junky X-mark/pro/whatever crap that comes on it.

I just bought a Weaver 3X15X50 EMDR Tactical scope a few weeks ago. First impression is that if I run out of bullets I can use it to bludgeon someone to death with or pound stakes into the ground. The glass is clear at all magnifications. The reticle is FFP and pretty nice. The illumination is pretty good but tends to get heavy and a little distorted when turned all the way up especially if the magnification is all the way up. Turrets have positive adjustment and are decent. The only thing I haven't liked is the windage turret has a little play in it when locked down. This is probably an adjustment issue and I'll get it corrected when I finally mount it as I haven't done that yet. This is going on my project gun for the year. The set up I have described is the one I am doing to mine.

The stock will be dipped in the old Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern and the metal work will be Duracoated in the WWII Olive Drab color.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:09 PM   #7
5R milspec

Ok the stock does have bedding,its made out of aluminum so it doesn't need to be messed with.I ounce had one LA for a rifle I no longer have.The one I had was a Full Length ( not the short one ) I loved that stock but choose to move onto something else.

I see no reason not to just go ahead and get a 20 MOA base.Buy ounce and be done with it I say.Plus it shouldn't hurt a thing already having it on the rifle.

Timney I have to say myself is somewhat over rated.The one that came on my sons rifle feels good but will let the pine fall when standing up.Called them and they said it was the nature of the trigger,told them no way,and have been told from many other the same.Ounce I can find an alen wrench I will adjust the sear to make it right.Now he just makes sure not to hold the rifle standing up and take the safety off.

other than that you should be OK in my book.But if you want to get rid of the stock I'll be glade to take it from ya,for I have a build coming up and my use it.

Last edited by 5R milspec; February 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM.