The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2008, 02:06 PM   #1
REMINGTON DUDE

Reloading For A Rem. 7400 Auto

I'm Going To Be Reloading 6mm Rem. In A Remington 7400. I Have 75gr. Vmax, And 87gr Hornady Hollow Points, Looking For Some Good Load Data, I Also Have A Full Can Of Imr 4831 I Was Thinking Of Useing, Some People Say The 6mm Likes It. I Will Of Course Start With A Low Starting Load, But Was Wondering What Kind Of Max Load/pressure's Is Safe In This Gun. Any Feedback Is Greatly Appreciated.
Old September 25, 2008, 02:45 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I can tell you a couple things about loading for a Remi semi. First, you have to make sure your ammo will feed reliably and eject reliably. The 7400 is like the 740 and 742; you have to use medium burning powders to ensure functioning. You may be disappointed with 4350 and 4831; they may be too slow to function the gun because the case will be still expanded in the chamber when the bolt starts to extract the fired shell. It will rip a chunk out of the rim and leave the shell in the gun, or only partially extract the case and jam. Stick to WW 760 and H414 at the slowest. IMR 4064 and 4320 will work splendidly although they might not give the highest velocities. 4895 is too fast unless you are shooting light (80 grain or less) bullets. Each gun is different; yours might tolerate 4350; it may not. 4831 is outside the parameters for the gas system. I tried them both in mine, and neither worked well. I stick to the 4 powders I listed. You might want small base dies; only trying the ammo you load with standard dies will tell you. If the gun doesn't feed reliably you may have to use the SB sizer die to get ammo that goes in and out with total certainty. Any questions please fell free to PM me. CB.
Old September 25, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
REMINGTON DUDE

Thanks

Thanks For The Positive Information, I'll Put It To Work Next Week And Hopefully Hit The Range And Let You Know Everything Turns Out.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:33 PM   #4
steve4102

Crow's got it, to slow burning and the gas system gets hammered due to to much "port" pressure. To fast burning and the action will not cycle properly due to to little port pressure. Keep it in the middle and make sure you FL size your brass including setting the shoulders back.