The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 25, 2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Rem1187

Replacement sights for AK 47

All,

I was recently shooting my allied armament underfolder akm 7.62x39 which is one of my favorite rifles and realized that I have never liked the sights on AKs. This was particularly exacerbated when I was using a AK front sight tool to adjust my windage; I was able to get the windage perfect for 50 yards but for some reason my rounds kept hitting approximately 5-8 inches right of point of aim at 100. I am guessing that my front sight might be bent causing the difference in windage from 50-100 yards.

I have decided that it might be worth getting some replacement sights and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

So far I am considering using a krebs custom rear peep sight and a xs big dot front sight. Has anyone used this combo before?

http://www.amazon.com/Tritium-Frt-Si.../dp/B002J3LSB6

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/524...47-steel-matte

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93096&CAT=8273

I am also considering using the XS big dot rear and front sight set although I am worried that XS sights really might not be a good choice for shooting past 100 yards.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846..._vc=subv846643

Does anyone know whether the XS front sight can be adjusted for windage and elevation similarly to the traditional AK front sight?

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas!

Last edited by Rem1187; August 25, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old August 25, 2015, 07:37 PM   #2
AK103K

If you want to upgrade, get an Ultimak rail, and a good red dot. Keep the factory irons and use them as back ups. You can cowitness the dot and irons.

The dot will bring you results more inline with the other rifles these days that use a dot. Nothing wrong with the iron sights, and you should know how to use them, but the red dot will quickly change your mind as to whats the better chocie.

I have a couple of AK's with Merolight night sights mounted inplace of the issue irons. They work OK, but they are also bigger, and more or less limit you to a realistic 200 yards and in. The sights are just to big for precision beyond that, and even 200 pushing it. Now up close, they work great. I had the same issue with the sights on my Springfield M1A SOCOM, but they went even further, and limited the range to 100 and in.

Any of those "big" sights, are going to limit you to short range shooting.

I do find the dots on the Mepro AK rear sights are to big (same size as the front). The dots "fuzz" in the dark, and are a bit of a distraction. I have a set on one shotgun, and the rear dots are smaller than the front, and give a better sight picture. They dont overwhelm like the AK's sights tend to do.

Before you do anything else though, I would get a good sight tool (B Square makes one of the best), and zero your rifle at at least 100 yards, and 200 is even better. Zeroing at shorter ranges, doesnt always translate well at longer distances, at least not without tweaking.

If you find the front sight zeros way to the left or right, and it bugs you (bugs the crap out of me), you can replace the rear sight with a windage adjustable RPK sight. Center up the front post, and dial in the windage at the rear. Its a lot less noticeable, and the sights work well.

As much as I like the rear mounted peeps for target type shooting, I find the AK sights, to be the better combat type sight. They are faster to use, and are more than capable. A good red dot beats them all though.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Rem1187

Ak103,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I have thought of going the red dot route but would really like to stick with irons for my AK just because I am not a huge red dot fan and like how AKs look without any rails or red dots.

I think the RPK rear sight idea is something I will consider though; do you know which specific RPK rear sight would fit on a allied armament polish AKM?

Thank you
Old August 25, 2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Rem1187

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/432...ck-to-top-link

also considering a MOJO rear sight if anyone has any thoughts
Old August 26, 2015, 01:55 AM   #5
bamaranger

ak

I've long given better AK sights some thought. Main reason is that at near 60, I have a hard time seeing the dang things anymore. I came very close to buying a set of "Big Dots" for mine, but came up with another alternative, and much cheaper.

I bought and installed a set of East German night sights. These sights clip onto the existing factory sights, and are comprised of a big white dot forward, and a leaf with a corresponding big U and white dot below same. The sights are luminous, you fire them up with a flashlight, but I care not a whit about that aspect. I like them 'cause they are visible to my eyes in the day.

These are BIG dots, like maybe 4-5mm big, and easy to see.
They are low profile, and don't detract from the appearance of the rifle.
They are coarse. But I shot them none the less on local outlaw 3gun courses with the big 18" target and 9" center, and hitting that out to 100 was possible. I'd say one could stay on a sillhoute type target to near 200 in good light and supported. And, they are cheap. About 90% cheaper than XS dots.

I have some other options, and made some other mods, and have some other ideas. I will list them as the post goes on.
Old August 26, 2015, 03:42 AM   #6
AK103K

This was the one I used on my Arsenal SSR-85C, but boy have they gone up in price! I paid about half what they are getting for them now.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/RPK-020.html

They also list another for about $20 less.....

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-020W.html

Both should fit.
Old September 1, 2015, 12:12 PM   #7
bfoosh006

Just an FYI....( in case you didn't know.. )

Your front sight just needs to be drifted one way or the other to set it correctly.

This video shows what I mean.... at about the 1min. 09 seconds point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBKqfelibIs
Old September 1, 2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Venom1956

tech sights are another option.

I've NEVER seen any ak owner shooting over 100 yards with irons. Heck most rifle owners stick to the 50 yard range with optics...
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 1, 2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Skarekrow88

I have the XS stripe front sight on my Arsenal AK and I really like it. Everyone ive talked to about the big dot has said it is too large and ends up blotting out their target at even fairly close distances (depending on the size of the target of course). I havent replaced the rear sight leaf yet but I will definitely be getting the Krebs custom aperture sight. I would be worried about the big dot sight eclipsing your sight picture through an aperture sight. My suggestion would be to do the xs stripe front and whichever aperture rear sight you like.
Old September 1, 2015, 05:27 PM   #10
AK103K

Quote:
I've NEVER seen any ak owner shooting over 100 yards with irons.
You must not get out much.

This was shot at 200, from a cross legged sitting position and at a steady cadence, using my SAR1 and its "slightly" canted factory irons.

Ak's can and will shoot, even using the irons, if the shooter is a reasonably proficient shooter.
Old September 1, 2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Bart Noir

I once tried that aperture sight concept, and was less than satisfied. Yeah, it was an SKS instead of an AK but I do not think the added sight radius was the problem.

An aperture sight works well if it is up close to your eye. But not when it is half-way between your eye and the front sight.

You will find yourself trying to center the tip of the front sight in the round circle that is the aperture rear sight. And it will float around and you will not ever think it is really centered. With the aperture way up front, you don't get the automatic centering which occurs when the eye is right behind the peep sight.

At least, that was my experience. YMMVAAT.

Far better, to my feeble brain, to get a rail on the dust cover or a dust cover with a rail built in, and put an aperture near your eye. Like the Finns and Israelis did with their versions of the AK. Or you can buy a dust cover with an aperture sight already attached, although I am guessing as to where you can buy that. Krebs, I think.

But I like the red-dot answers best of all.

Bart Noir
Old September 3, 2015, 05:06 PM   #12
bamaranger

other options

Here are some other thoughts on better sights for the AK. Both revolve around using the Ultimak rail, which has a good track record.

-a red dot, as noted, or:

-a Klashniscout. Travesty, yes, but a "scoutscope" mounted in conjuction with the Ultimak, with the rear bell hovering low over the rear sight, might just milk all the accuracy from an AK that can be had. I've not tried it, but its in the mix.

-this last is a new one, the "See All Sight" . Mounted on the Ultimak rail, just ahead of the rear sight, it would be easy to see (I think) and fast, and add more precision than the skimpy irons. Again, not tried it, but its in the mix.
Old September 3, 2015, 11:54 PM   #13
Venom1956

Quote:
You must not get out much.
Hey now! i didn't say you couldn't i just said 99% of owners dont. you knew what i meant! don't be like that!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug