The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

10,000 Rounds

My S&W model 67, 4" bbl, I purchased on 3/15/14. Fast forward 16 months and I've put 10,000 rounds through it already. Pic taken today.

It has a trigger job, chamfered charge holes, and a fiber optic front sight. I use it for competition, play, and practice (dedicated sport gun - has no SD duties). I have lots of guns, but this is the one that's with me on most trips to the range, and all trips to action shooting events.

It's just getting broke in. I love revolvers. I'm ready to see pics of revolvers that put mine to shame in terms of round count. Let's see 'em!

Old July 18, 2015, 06:14 AM   #2
MrBorland

Nice. And congrats on breaking it in well.

Here are a couple of my slicked-up gamer guns...

66-5

(nearly) matching 686s: 686-6 (bottom), 686-5 (top). The 686-6 went to back-up status when the round count hit about 70k, and some of it's guilt-edge accuracy softened a bit.
Old July 18, 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

Nice rigs Mr Borland.

"Guilt-edged accuracy" ??
Old July 18, 2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Well, most of mine are Ruger Single Actions. My most fired revolver, a Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt:

This .357 Magnum just under 18,000 rounds:

Super Blackhawk, also approaching 18,000 Rounds:

'Nother Super Blackhawk, nearing 17,000 rounds:

I've got a few more but they are only in the 10,000 round range.

And, yes, I do keep a round count in my shooting log book.

Bob Wright
Old July 18, 2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Single actions count too Bob Wright

Nice guns.
Old July 18, 2015, 12:55 PM   #6
hdbiker

Super Blackhawk

My 7 1/2 in super Black Hawk .44 mag was born in 1984,and I'm on the bottom of the third 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights threw it,plus many,many full power jacked bullets.It still locks up tight as new and is very accurate.Sorry no photos or accurate round count.Awesome wheel gun ! hdbiker
Old July 18, 2015, 02:41 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S
"Guilt-edged accuracy" ??
gilt–edged...
adjective \ˈgilt-ˌejd\
: having the best quality or rating

gilt-edged accuracy...
Old July 18, 2015, 03:58 PM   #8
jglsprings

32,765 according to the log book...

I bought this one used and did the weekly bullseye match for a couple of years. At the 32,000+ plus mark I sent it off to S&W for a rebuild and reblue. Still is my go to Model 19.

Commas save lives...
Old July 19, 2015, 09:22 AM   #9
wpsdlrg

Yep. Good old style revolvers, if you don't over stress them with stupid loads, will run nearly forever (with proper maintenance). I have a Smith model 10-8, shipped from the factory in 1984, that could be well past 10,000 rounds. Can't say how many the previous owner(s) put through it, but it was well used when it came to me....and I've run more than 7000 rounds through it myself. Still runs like a Swiss watch.
Old July 21, 2015, 02:07 PM   #10
Sevens

Man, I love it when Mr. Borland posts target pictures! Love it as much as gun pictures. I see gun pictures and it makes me dream of guns I would love to own. Then I see target pictures like these and it evokes a similar but enhanced response. Just as inspiring as the hole in the picture is the data scribbled next to it. Notice "10 yards" and "standing" and you'll get my point.
Old July 21, 2015, 02:18 PM   #11
Sevens

Nick, I also love round counts!
I seem to have too many handguns to get one of 'em that far... But I will keep trying. But I do catalog all my shots fired because a strict round count is, to me, like an odometer and it is a personal badge of achievement. "Personal", which means that I do it for myself. If someone else gets something from it, great! If someone else doesn't like my record keeping... haha, they can stick it!

I am guessing that my highest round count handgun is this one:

It was born a Ruger Police Service Six in 1980 and converted to a "Cougar" by none other than Bill Davis. Six inch stainless Python barrel. The gent who sold it to me said "you know it's got like a MILLION rounds through it..." and it has all the scars and dings in it that back that up.

So far, I've managed about 800 through it, so that's what my log reflects, but someone obviously used it in competition on a very regular schedule.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a full history of it... Sigh.
Old July 22, 2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

not to sidetrack too much... but I keep log books on my bolt action rifles, & that is all so far

I have too many guns to buy a log book for everything I shoot

are you guys just doing your own in a note book, or buying something???

this is what I've been using for my rifles...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311344846842...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

curious what you guys are using to keep track...

my CAS revolvers ( a pair of Ruger Montados in 45 Colt ) have the most rounds I've personally put through any of my guns, & I bought mine new... they probably have close to 10,000 rounds each put through them in 3.5 years... easy to see why powder & primer shortages are tough on people who shoot competitions...

my 45 Colt Montados are the pair 4th down on this rack...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 22, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old July 22, 2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Sevens

I just use the same MS-Excel spreadsheet that I use to log the ammo that I handload. And keeping track of my round counts does take a little time & energy but it is not difficult to do and it is a very strict count.

The only downer is that I only have an absolutely true count for the ones I bought new... And I pretty much don't buy new anymore.
Old July 22, 2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Grant D

Wow! I'm 66 years old, and I don't think I've fired 10,000 rounds through all my guns combined in my life time!

And gentlemen, those are some beautiful guns by the way.

Y'all have my respect for your dedication to the sport!

( I guess I better get busy! )
Old July 22, 2015, 01:14 PM   #15
Griff, SASS93

Colt 3rd Gens:

Bottom, bought a new 2nd gen in 1974, it was stolen 8 years later, insurance replaced it with this factory 7-½" cut to 4-¾" to match my original. This pic was just after I got it back from being rebuilt after 25 years of CAS competition. It has had another 5 years of use, and is just starting to see some holster wear on the bbl. Round count unknown, probably around 50-60K. It's mate, (top) is about ready for a rebuild, 1979 production acquired from a collector in 1995, so it's only seen about a third of the use of the 1976 product from the Dome... also a 7-½" gun cut to 4-¾"...

S&W mdl 65:

Pachmyr Presntation grip, mdl 19 CCH hammer & trigger. Twice weekly qualifying, with some practice between, no shot fired in anger, unknown total round count but probably a bit less than 10K.
Old July 22, 2015, 02:08 PM   #16
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
easy to see why powder & primer shortages are tough on people who shoot competitions...
+1. The powder/primer and rimfire shortage is one reason why I started shooting rifle - those components don't seem to be as rare 'round here. I miss shooting my revolver, though, so I'll likely start up again, though it may not be with the same volume.

Speaking of rimfire, I completely forgot about my 4" 617 - it's got north of 50k rounds on it as well. I bought my 686 and my 617 on the same day, and though I choked while writing the check, with 130K+ rounds between them, they turned out to be 2 of my wiser purchases.

Sevens likes targets, so here's my well-used 617 posing with a 25 yard target.

Old July 22, 2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Sevens

Allright smart aleck, heh heh, who takes a 10-shot revolver and puts together a phenomenal FIVE ROUND group?!

I know, I know, probably has something to do with a postal match or shooting in the same cadence of a particular sanctioned event... probably a logical answer. But still... there was room for ten shots on that paper -and- in that cylinder!

Seriously for a minute though, I am curious about your choice of a four-inch barrel? It just seems to me that a classic, non-lugged six inch barrel is THE proper setup for this type of small group shooting. S&W obviously messed that up when they transitioned to the full-lug barrel... I still don't understand that decision.

Admittedly, I have an emotional attachment to the argument as my standard non-full lug six inch 17-6 was one of the last produced before the change.
Old July 22, 2015, 03:09 PM   #18
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I know, I know, probably has something to do with a postal match or shooting in the same cadence of a particular sanctioned event... probably a logical answer. But still... there was room for ten shots on that paper -and- in that cylinder!
I'm hearing ya', but when shooting groups, I generally shoot 5-shot groups, even from a 6-shot. It just makes it easier to tell a so-so group from a good group from a gooder group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I am curious about your choice of a four-inch barrel? It just seems to me that a classic, non-lugged six inch barrel is THE proper setup for this type of small group shooting.
I do have a non-underlug 6" k-22, but I don't formally target shoot, and I shoot my 4" 617 about as well as my K-22 anyway. When I bought the 617, I went with the 4" version because I wanted an "understudy" to my 4" 686 - the "feel" of the 617 is reasonably close to that of the 686, and it fits in the same holster, to boot. At the range, then, I can get more trigger time in working on my accuracy, draw, transitions and movement when I throw the 617 into my range bag.
Old July 22, 2015, 08:37 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Lovin' these posts. Good stuff.
Old July 22, 2015, 09:02 PM   #20
Sevens

^ Shameless west coast thread bump! ^

My highest logged round counts of shots I've sent down range are all on semi-auto's. Probably haven't put more than 4k through any single revolver but I have it spread out across a number of 'em.
Old July 23, 2015, 12:18 AM   #21
DaleA

And, IMhO, the best part is you could probably give these guns to your offspring and they could do the same.

I kind of like guns.
Old July 23, 2015, 01:12 PM   #22
wpsdlrg

Heck, I fired more than 12,000 rounds (38 special and 9mm) in the last calendar year. I didn't realize how much at the time, as I didn't really keep track of round counts, except round counts for each gun I own. Added them up one day, out of curiosity.....and wow.....about 12,300 for the year.

I am as surprised as anyone. They do add up though, especially if you shoot every weekend as I do.
Old July 23, 2015, 01:16 PM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

I have to revise my original statement... I have a Stainless Ruger Government Target Model heavy barrel ( non slab side ) that back in the 80's we had dueling tree competitions at my old range used to shoot a 1000 rounds or more in a weekend... did that all summer long, for a couple years... I would not be surprised if I had 40-50,000 rounds through that gun, before I gave up shooting 22's regularly...

Old July 27, 2015, 05:45 PM   #24
Paul105

Freedom Arms 6" .475 Linebaugh -- 15,000 plus.

5 Shots off hand at 50 yards with 420gr WFNGC at a chronographed 1,300 fps.
Freedom Arms M97 4 1/4" .45 Colt -- 25,000 plus

5 shots off hand at 50 yards with 315gr SWGC at a chronoed 1,140 fps. Best of 3 groups shot in response to challenge by Mr. Borland IIRC

Here's all 15 shots superimposed and groups numbered.

Deteriorating shooting skills -- nerves, eyes, etc. would preclude the above groups being duplicated today.

FWIW,

Paul
Old July 27, 2015, 08:16 PM   #25
Nick_C_S

Sure are a lot of nice guns. Impressive.

It's a good thing I enjoy handloading. . .

Quote:
I just use the same MS-Excel spreadsheet that I use to log the ammo that I handload.
I don't actually log my firearm's round count. My "10,000 rounds" was via inference. I looked at my loading log records. I know which rounds went through my M67, and which went through other guns. Different recipes for different guns/applications.