The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
track

Browning

Not a shotgunner and being offered a Browning Lightning o/u 12 ga 32" and a grade 1 ?? in about 85 - 90% overall cond. Anyone give me a ballpark on worth? Thanks in advance as usual.... Al
Old August 4, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
BigJimP

Check the model again....to my knowledge ....the Lightning model of the Citori family of guns was only made in a 26" or 28" ....

We need to narrow the model down to help ....

If it is a Lightning ( and I doubt it is ) today's Lightning model in 12ga list for around $ 1,990 and sell new for around $ 1,750 in most areas.....so a gun that was new in the last yr or so ....at 85% ...is probably worth $ 1,000 - $ 1,250....

A photo ...and a serial number might help us figure out what model of the Citori it really is.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
track

Browning

thanks for the help. What I know for sure is it does not say Citor anywhere, says Lightning on plate just above triggerguard. Belgium Lightning. 12 ga - 2 3/4 I measured bar's and its 32"s. The ser no is 1275759.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4
zippy13

Sorry, Big Jim, Track's talking about a real Browning.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
PetahW

The value for a Grade I Browning Superposed Lightning 12ga, with 30" bbls, would vary by $200 or so, depending upon it's age/DOM, but roughly worth anywhere between $1500-$1800 - unless it's a late-60's model with saltwood (rust) damage in hidden areas (pull a BP screw to check the threads for rust), in which case the value could be up to 50% less.

Old August 4, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Slugo

most likely it's a standard Superposed Lightning (round grip) with 30" M/F choke constrictions (field gun). $1500 bucks at best, and that's an 85% gun...
Old August 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

I can't advise on the value of gun's, but for what it might be worth, I never got such great trap scores until I bought a used ($900) Browning O/U. I went from the 12's and teens with beginner level guns, then jumped into the 22's, 23's, and 24's with the Browning. It seemed to me I about doubled my scores. I might have even got a few 25's. Sorry that health problems forced me to sell off that shotgun. I know whoever bought it, got a good one.
Old August 4, 2012, 04:24 PM   #8
track

Browning

Think u are right is 1960's, over 50 yrs old? but definately 32" which eliminates some guns. Pic from his garage, not selling at yard sales. Bright spot near receiver is overhead light.. In better shape than picture. thanks Al
Old August 4, 2012, 05:39 PM   #9
BigJimP

a real Browning ...come on now Zippy ...my feelings are hurt....

Fixed choke guns ....value depends on what they're choked at ...and what you want it for. If its a Mod/Full .. its probably a $ 1,250 gun if its a Mod/Mod it might be $ 1,500 ...( 85% isn't a gun thats in great shape ) and it would be ok for Trap. It might be ok for sporting clays...but it won't be a good Skeet gun.

The biggest thing is does it fit you / so it hits where you look ...if not, you'll need some stock modifications ...

Since you're new to shotguns...I'd suggest you pass on it / until you know a lot more about what dimensions on a gun fit you ( length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel )....32" barrels might be a little too long for a general use gun ...not having changeable screw in chokes is a negative ... 2 3/4" chamber is ok ( but you cannot shoot 3" shells ) - but all of the target shells are 2 3/4".

Despite Zippy's crack - on my japanese made Brownings ( Miroku guns ) ..are good solid guns for the money / and Browning sells about 28 different models of the Citori line of guns ...that are better choices for most of us ...( I have a lot of them, in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ) ...many with over 250,000 shells thru them with no issues. But I'd suggest some time at your local clays club...and some time in your local gun shops before you buy a shotgun / there is a lot involved in making sure you make a smart choice.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:01 PM   #10
track

Browning

Thanks again for all the info and a lot to think about. I wanted an entry level trap gun, Missouri trap assoc very near to where I live and want to get started. Appmt to go next tues and take a peek, see what its about. Great info thanks again everyone.
Old August 4, 2012, 08:12 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

There is a Belgium Browning 32" Superposed with Lightning Rib grade 1 listd by a Florida dealer for sale on Guns International for $1750. Nothing is said about the DOM or condition. Note the position of the action locking lever.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Bro...n_id=100266672
Old August 5, 2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Slugo

Interesting trap gun, but that ain't no Lightning rib. What the dumb cluck meant was Lightning grip and forend. The rib on that gun is nothing more than a standard old field grade flat rib, not conducive to good trap shooting. Nice shape, but worn. A $1200 gun on its best day. A trip to Art's could do wonders for it, just takes $$$...
Old August 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #13
BigJimP

My preferred Trap gun ...is a Browning Citori O/U XT Trap model in 32" barrels...at around 10 lbs its a good all around Trap gun ( for singles, continental, or doubles).

In a general purpose gun...for sporting clays and skeet and bird hunting I go to a Citori XS skeet model in 30" barrels at around 8 lbs...a little quicker to the 2nd target...in games or in birds that have more right to left movement than in Trap.

There are lots of both models / new and used around. The parallel adj combs on both models ...make them easy to fit 99.9% of the shooters out there. Much better options than a superposed at this point for you, in my opinion.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
Fixed choke guns ....value depends on what they're choked at ...and what you want it for. If its a Mod/Full .. its probably a $ 1,250 gun if its a Mod/Mod it might be $ 1,500 ...( 85% isn't a gun thats in great shape ) and it would be ok for Trap. It might be ok for sporting clays...but it won't be a good Skeet gun.
That can be easily fixed - either by opening the chokes or having thin walls installed by Briley
Old August 5, 2012, 03:08 PM   #15
BigJimP

My buddy OneOunce is right ....but for a guy, buying his first shotgun - and maybe getting into doing some casual Trap shooting....I don't think sending a gun to Briley to have that done is the best option / when there are so many good used guns out there.

For his 2nd or 3rd gun ....sure, I agree.