The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 14, 2015, 12:06 PM   #126
JERRYS.

there's something undeniably daunting about the bulldog's bad guy view.

Old January 14, 2015, 09:54 PM   #127
lee n. field

Quote:
Wow, now that's customer service! Did they give the new gun the same serial # as the original one?

I was impressed when I called in to buy a sight screw and they shipped me one free, but this is really something.
They replaced my Undercover. The new one has a different serial number.

And yes, I'm pretty impressed with their customer service. Easy to deal with and quick turn around. One reason I'm comtemplating the Bulldog, over the other competitive product on the low end.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 22, 2015, 11:03 AM   #128
David R

Hey Dave,...are you still shooting those reloads??

I pulled the rest. I found One more bullet with a gas check and 9.5 grains of a fine powder.

I think I know where these came from.

Probably about 25years ago, my dad handed me his 3" S&W model 624 and asked me to shoot a few loads.

I fired three rounds and handed him the gun back. Too hot, hurt my hand.

I bet I found the other 3.

If you don't know, the 624 (44sp) is the same gun as the 629 (44 mag) with a shorter cylinder.

I had a couple more boxed of his 44 special reloads, I fired them all in my Ruger Super Redhawk. There were no other instances.

Loving the gun. It now fits well in the galco King Tuck. It just took a few times in and out. I feel quite secure carrying this gun.

Someone asked about serial number. It was a new gun new serial #.

David
Old January 22, 2015, 11:17 AM   #129
Cheapshooter

Great story about a company that makes a reasonably priced revolver, and stands behind it! Makes me very happy I will probably be picking up my new Bulldog DAO from Gander Mountain this afternoon. FedEx tracking number says it's in town.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 27, 2015, 10:17 PM   #130
superspirit

I guess I'll be finding out how there customer service is. I recently purchased a like new patriot 327 mag. went and shot it today and the barrel came loose. kind of a shame as I really wanted the 327. anyway going to call them in the morning.
Old January 28, 2015, 12:06 AM   #131
weblance

I have a pair of Pathfinders. The top one is a rare 8 shot 22 LR, the bottom is a 6 shot 22WMR. Its at the factory right now getting a new barrel because of a defect, and getting a 22 LR cylinder fitted, on my dime. I am considering a .38 Police Undercover because its the only small, 6 shot .38 that I know of currently in production. Should make a good sock drawer gun for my wife.

Old February 2, 2015, 12:13 AM   #132
JERRYS.

this is my latest Charter Arms gun, rolled marked as Charter 2000. supposedly Charter 2000 was owned by the same folks/guy that owns the current company. the suspect quality of the older Charter Arms is evident here in this pic. if you enlarge it you can see serious machine marks in the cylinder stop notches. so far, other than poor finishing work this gun works right, though it is rough in most every movement.

Old February 20, 2015, 07:31 AM   #133
David R

Bulldog

I have had an itch to shoot this. I carry it sometimes and want to be good with it.

Here are 10 shots 50 feet. I shot a box of 50 and some.

David
Old February 20, 2015, 10:05 AM   #134
JERRYS.

David, nice gun and nice shooting. what ammo were you using?
Old February 20, 2015, 05:15 PM   #135
Charlie Fox

I'd love to play! I've owned four CA revolvers; my first was a .38 Undercover, then a .44 Bulldog with a 3" barrel. Those two got away, but I bought a 2.5" .44 Bulldog to carry as back up to my 4506 and carried both until my department mandated changing to a Glock 22 (then, of course, I HAD to have a Keltec P40). My last CA was an Undercover in .38 with a shrouded barrel and bobbed hammer. That one went to my dad once he laid eyes on it and he carried it until the day he died (it was on his bedside table when we found him; he had passed in his sleep). It now lives with my youngest daughter. I'd buy another in a minute, but I like the older ones best
Old February 24, 2015, 06:16 AM   #136
David R

Jerrys,

I was using 6,9 grains Unique with a Gator powder coated 240 SWC.

I bought the gun and tried only a couple loads, apparently this bullet and gun are a good combination.

I also tried 5.3 of bullsey and some Red dot.

Unique gave the most Velocity and kept it in a safe pressure range.

As you can see earlier I blew one up, so I am a little careful.

Loving this gun, carrying it in my galco king tuck for my smith model 36 J frame 5 shot 38. I carry it with confidence!

David
Old February 24, 2015, 06:53 PM   #137
David R

A few more pics

Here ya go, my little buddy.

This thing is a blast. If I grip the gun tight, it bites the front of my trigger finger knuckle hard. If I relax with the pachmyer grip, it does not.

Its a little gun, I want to hold it firmly.

David
Old February 25, 2015, 12:34 AM   #138
JERRYS.

wow, 6.8 grains of unique under a 240gr. I use 5.3 under a 240gr swc, and its plenty for my bulldog, a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- cat in my 629 though.
Old February 26, 2015, 06:18 AM   #139
David R

As you saw earlier in this thread, I blew one up shooting reloads that I did not make.

6.9 is a max load for standard pressure 44 special.

Shooting this is similar to shooting my airweight smith with max pressure 38's.

David
Old March 14, 2015, 08:30 PM   #140
David R

Internet competition

The game was keep em all in the X.

4 shots 3 yards
6 shots 5 yards
6 shots 7 yards
4 shots 10 yards

240 820 fps.

David
Old September 25, 2015, 03:42 PM   #141
Carmady

Early 80s? Undercover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA UC 2 inch.JPG (163.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Carmady; September 25, 2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old September 25, 2015, 04:27 PM   #142
JERRYS.

nice gun Carmady, but it will cost you if it needs repair. Nick Ecker does not warranty the guns his father built, only his own.
Old September 25, 2015, 04:33 PM   #143
Carmady

Thanks, Jerry. No sweat, I don't believe I'd send it to them for repair if it ever needs it...I've read too many stories.
Old September 25, 2015, 04:43 PM   #144
lee n. field

They will charge you to repair the old guns. After that, it's warrantied.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 25, 2015, 05:47 PM   #145
Model12Win

I've used Charter's CS twice.

Both times, no questions asked, ungodly fast turnaround time, paid for shipping both ways.

I like my .44 Bulldog. Tremendous stopping power and reliability for it's size, and if you can't do it with five shots of .44 special hollow tips, you might as well sit down on your ass and die because no amount of firepower will save you.
Old September 25, 2015, 06:10 PM   #146
JERRYS.

when you have a cool gun, you use any excuse to post a pic of it....

Old September 25, 2015, 07:41 PM   #147
Carmady

I like those Bulldogs, always have.

I've spent some time trying to determine when the change from Bridgeport to Stratford took place, keeping track of the highest Bridgeport serial numbers and the lowest Stratford sn's, 293xxx and 315xxx. Recently I found the following gun on another forum, a transitional or "after the move" gun, 303xxx marked Bridgeport on the barrel and Stratford on the box. The plot thickens.
Old September 25, 2015, 09:18 PM   #148
lee n. field

Quote:
I like those Bulldogs, always have.

I've spent some time trying to determine when the change from Bridgeport to Stratford took place, keeping track of the highest Bridgeport serial numbers and the lowest Stratford sn's, 293xxx and 315xxx. Recently I found the following gun on another forum, a transitional or "after the move" gun, 303xxx marked Bridgeport on the barrel and Stratford on the box. The plot thickens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 1.jpg (92.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 2.jpg (46.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 3.jpg (55.2 KB, 2 views)
You're making me want to try another one. I liquidated my Charter a year ago, after 3 broken transfer bars.
Old September 25, 2015, 10:21 PM   #149
JERRYS.

Carmady, Bridgeport stamped guns stopped being made in '73, and in '74 is when the Stratford stampings started. The Bulldogs debuted in '73 and were stamped Bridgeport, after one year of production the factory moved to Stratford and the stampings reflected that. if you have a gun stamped Bridgeport but boxed as Stratford you can be sure the gun was made in '73 but wasn't shipped until the move was completed in '74.
Old September 26, 2015, 07:10 AM   #150
Carmady

That Bridgeport/Stratford gun isn't mine, I just stole the pictures from another forum.

I don't know when they stamp the barrels with the city, after the barrel is made and before it's screwed to the frame, or after the gun is made. I think it would have been possible to have pre-stamped barrels from Bridgeport, and finish the assembly in Stratford after the move, depending on when the barrels are stamped. The 1973 date for the move corresponds with magazine ads I've seen online.

I hope they get their .45ACP Pitbull straightened out. It's a great idea, they just need to improve their execution. I'd guess part of the problem is outsourced parts, and then their assemblers have to do what they can in order to get those parts to work...just guessing.