The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 1999, 10:52 AM   #1
Pipper

I've narrowed my choice to these two, and I'm leaning heavily toward the 590 because it's in the configuration that I want. The only 870 that I can find with a short barrel is the Super Magnum with Marinekote finish which is more than I want to spend, and besides, I want all blue.

I'm wondering if the 590 is easily modified? Can I switch back and forth easily between barrel lengths? If not, would the 500 be a better choice.

I am also concerned with quality. I was told by someone that the difference between a Remington and a Mossberg is like the difference between a Beretta and a Smith & Wesson. Is this true, or is the difference fairly negligible?

Thanks for all help.
Old September 6, 1999, 11:29 AM   #2
Espresso

I personally favor the Remington. Remington markets a version called the Home Defense. It is an Express model,(matte/bead blasted)blued finished, with an eighteen inch smooth, IC chocked barrel. The stocks that come with the weapon are black synthetic checkered. If you want to use this gun for hunting Remington offers two (a 26 in. & 28 in.) express barrels with ribs and choke tubes. The best part is the price. In southern california the Home Defense retails for less than $280.00. I just purchased one myself and am happy with it. There are a ton of accessories made for it. Check out Scattergun Technologies/Wilson, Sure-Fire lights, Gunsite's gunsmith and Robar. Most LE around here use it.
Old September 6, 1999, 12:30 PM   #3
Rob62

One point of caution about the Home Defense Remington 870. Remington has modified these guns so that they will not accept magazine extensions. Its fairly simple to change this factory modification but a small hassle non the less. Does anyone know if ALL currently made Remington shotguns have this modification?? BTW I'm a big Remington 870 shotgun fan also. I own a couple of older ones that I am very happy with. However there is nothing wrong with the Mossberg guns, just a matter of personal preference.

Rob

RKBA

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 6, 1999, 01:57 PM   #4
Pipper

I saw the Express HD on Remington's website, and it states that that particular shotgun cannot accept police accessories: I'm not sure what "police accessories" refers to. I was worried that it would be difficult to modify.

It sounds as though the difference in quality between Remington and Mossberg is not that great: apparently it's more of a personal preference on the order of HK vs. Glock rather than good quality vs. mediocre. Am I right?
Old September 6, 1999, 03:19 PM   #5
Ivan8883

I have noticed that my 18inch factory barrel on my 870 is just 18 inches long. Pretty close to illegal Not that i really care.
Old September 6, 1999, 06:27 PM   #6
pete80

The 590 passed mil-spec testing, did the 870? No.
Old September 6, 1999, 08:17 PM   #7
Rob62

pete80, Was the 870 tested? If so can you provide a link to a site that has that information?

Pipper, I'd say your right it is like the argument of HK v. Glock, Smith and Wesson v. Colt, etc. IMHO, like I said they're both good guns. It seems to be a preference thing. I'm sure that some people have had bad experiences with the 870's just like some have had bad experiences with the Mossberg's.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------

Old September 10, 1999, 03:47 PM   #8
Tom B

I thought the legal shotgun barrel length was 16 inches. Am I wrong?
Old September 10, 1999, 05:16 PM   #9
TEXAS LAWMAN

Shotguns must have a barrel length of at least 18", rifles 16" per federal laws. Most states mirror this. You may purchase shotguns having a barrel of between 12 and 17.999 inches for a $5 tax to the U.S. Treasury. These are known as AOWs (any other weapons) and are regulated as NFA (National Firearms Act) firearms. To attach a <18" barrel to a shotgun which has already had a 18" or longer barrel attached, requires payment of a $200 tax to Treasury and is classified as a "short-barreled shotgun" and is also regulated by NFA.
Old September 11, 1999, 05:46 AM   #10
jacko

I like both shotguns, But I have to say the 870's does kick butt. I myself own the special purpose model and love it. My dad had one in vietnam for two tours and always said his 870 never broke a part and always came through for him in combat.

------------------
""Always Watch Your Six""

[This message has been edited by jacko (edited September 11, 1999).]
Old September 11, 1999, 07:53 AM   #11
jwong

It may not be a major concern for you, but some people don't like the Mossberg because the receiver is made up of mostly a plastic/polymer, i.e. trigger guard/housing, safety switch, etc...
Old September 11, 1999, 06:54 PM   #12
pete80

It's a matter of the government choosing the lowest bidder. Remington Police models are cheaper than Mossberg 590 A1's. They probably chose the superior model this time.
Old September 11, 1999, 08:44 PM   #13
Rob62

Not trying to start trouble here.

But Pete80 when you said "The 590 passed mil-spec testing, did the 870? No." in a previous post. I presumed that you knew that the 870 did not pass MILSPEC testing and that you could provide a link to that testing. I take it you can't?!

Having been in the Military for quite a few years now I can assure you that the term MILSPEC has been well used and abused. And in some aspects is meaningless to me.

I have personally seen many different kinds of shotguns in Arms room inventories. Rem 870's through Win 12's to name just two. Note-have not seen any 590's yet in Arms rooms) I personnaly believe that all are equally as good when it comes to reliability and function. We can always argue different specific merits such as placement of safeties on Rem 870's Vs. Moss 500 series guns.

But the bottom line is that for the most part; 870's, 1100, 1200, 1300, 500, 590, 12, etc are all decent shotguns and should give individual owners (Military included) a lifetime of faithfull service.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------

Old September 11, 1999, 10:40 PM   #14
AJ .40

jwong,
Just FYI, but the 870 express now comes with a polymer trigger guard.

------------------
AJ

Who is John Galt?
Old September 15, 1999, 08:23 AM   #15
jwong

AJ .40,

Hey, thanks for the update! Didn't know that remington changed over as well. Do you know when they started with the polymer trigger guard?
Old September 25, 1999, 09:45 PM   #16
B Shipley

What is the modification to the mag tube extension on the 870HD (that makes it unable to accept them), and how does one circumvent it?
Old September 25, 1999, 10:47 PM   #17
Bennett Richards

I don't mean to sound like I know anything... cause I don't... but I have just gotten through doing a lot of research prior to buying a Remington 870 Marine magnum. Here is what I found.
1. The Remingtons have a steel reciever with the Mossbergs using an alloy ( the 590A1 may indeed use a steel reciever but regular 500's do not)

2. The Remington 870 Express now has a composit trigger group like the Mossberg 500 while the Mossberg 590A1 and the Reminton 870 Police and Marine trigger group is still aluminium.

3. The Remington HD express has 3 dimples in the Mag tube that must be removed to use Mag extensions. The 870 Police and Marine do not. This is not a problem with the Mossberg weapons.

After examining both weapons I found the fit and finish of the Remingtons to be superior...BUT I am convinced that either brand will do just as well. Handle both and see what you think. The Mossberg is a VERY good buy for the money.. I just liked the Rem Marine Magnum better.

Ben

Old September 26, 1999, 05:31 AM   #18
Phillip

I own a M 500 Persuader 8 shot pistol grip, and a M 590. The 590 is my favorite, but I could not pass up the M 500 for the $200 I paid. My 590 was purchased about 5 years ago, and it does have a polymer trigger housing. The bolt is also polished, and I have noticed on the newer guns (590s and the 500 I bought) they are blued/black.
I know the Marine Corps and Coast Guard were using the 590, don't know about the Army.
The Remington is a great shotgun (I have fired many), and is the choice of many PDs. Whichever gun you choose is going to serve you well.
It would basically be a matter of cost, and features.
You could always save up and buy a Benelli, but that's serious money.

[This message has been edited by Phillip (edited September 26, 1999).]
Old September 26, 1999, 05:44 AM   #19
Phillip

BTW the 590 can not be changed to hunting configuration. What you see is what you get. The 500 5 or 6 shot series used to come with a spare barrel and stock so that they could go from hunting to defense. I am not sure if that option is still available, but your local dealer or Wal Mart can help. The 500 Persuader is a lower cost alternative to the 590. It offers an 8 shot capacity (7+1) and bead sights instead of ghost rings. Also mine came with the barrel shroud installed. My 590 came with one too, but it was not installed and there is no way I am going to remove the front sight to put that on. If you get the 500 P with pistol grip, you can go over to Brownell's and buy a full stock with speed feeders for about $75. If you want the factory full stock, the price should be about the same ($190-$220 range) as the pistol grip.
Old September 26, 1999, 04:23 PM   #20
Destructo6

The Mossberg 590A1 has a metal trigger guard and safety switch as well as a super thick barrel. The standard 590 has a plastic trigger guard and safety switch and I've seen one or two with a standard (thin) barrel.

I saw 3 or 4 590A1's today at the Anaheim gunshow with speedfeed stocks standard and ghost rings, for about $400.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited September 26, 1999).]
Old September 26, 1999, 07:37 PM   #21
oberkommando

As to the trigger guard, the 590a1 military nine shot has the steel trigger.

From an off the rack comparison I'd select the mossberg. I was told this by my shotgun smith, he modifies both guns and orders them by the 100's. I have an 870 express and a benelli both being modified by Hans Vang with his "vang comp system", MMC gost rings, comp, ported, flextab, 3"conversion, oversized safty, and coplete reliability package.

If you really want to rock you'll save for the M1 BENELLI, COMP IT, but price is stiff at approx $1600.00, gun must be shipped twice for half the work, to Arizona for gg&g to machine and fit a new barrel. The wait time is also 3-4 months.

Old September 30, 1999, 07:13 PM   #22
chadwick

I chose the remington 870 home defense based on price the gun dealer was able to put the 2 shot magazine on it in about 15 minutes.
Old October 1, 1999, 09:42 PM   #23
Gunfighter

My dept issues 870's with surefire lights. I bought and carry my own 590 in the trunk. The reason for me was the Ghost Ring Sights, 20 in barrel, and the safety. After the LA shoot out I wanted a gun with sights that I could take a 75-100 yard shot at badguys in Level III body armor with. Of course I would only do this with a backstop like a brick wall or something like it. We have nine banks on my post and they have been robbed before. As for a sling I use the sling off a M-60 machine gun, it was the only one that lets me sling it over my 6'2 290lb frame. Plus you can put a bayonet on it. They love that at roll call.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old October 2, 1999, 03:01 AM   #24
Espresso

To Gunfighter:

A bayonet to roll call? Do you prick 'em before or after you pull the trigger?
Old October 2, 1999, 03:38 AM   #25
zip

i have 2 of the 500 s one persuader which stays in my trunk and a reagular 500 that ive had for almost four years and never had a problem one with 1 put an 18.5 bbl on it it is my house gun

------------------
oneshotonekill