The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2015, 08:50 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Look at the difference in price on extra barrels. The mossbergs were much cheaper when last I looked.
I owned a Winchester ?1300? and was not impressed. I haven't heard much good about Winchester lately.
I had an Remington 11-87 and it felt great, but it was so dirty and a pain to clean.
I have a mossberg 500 persuader and 930 field combo.
The 500 worked exactly as I expected and I love the tang safety.
My 930 was a single shot from the word go. I interacted with Mossberg CS several times by phone and e-ail and thought they were pretty rude. Put a sour taste in my mouth. I did send it back to them and they replaced carrier and barrel according to their included report. No charge to me. It is hard to complain, but I just didn't like my communication with them. In addition the 930 feels pretty clunky in my hands. I plan on test firing it then probably selling it.

I am looking to sell both shotguns to purchase a used Benelli semi.

I like almost every single shot I have ever touched.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:42 AM   #27
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum receiver.
Take a look at what happens if you use the wrong bolt when swapping a standard stock for tacticool stock. Too long a bolt ( a common mistake) crushes the aluminum, which ain't about to happen if it were steel. If you think an aluminum receiver will last as long as steel, I have a bridge to show you.
Old January 19, 2015, 05:31 PM   #28
essonlaker

so my brothers looking at one too now. he looked at a Weatherby PA-08, which they do make in a combo. he really liked it, but it only comes with a cantilever. the range of a shotgun in my opinion doesn't justify a scope. I wish more options were available with open rifle sights.

I'm dead set against that awful laminate wood on 870's and can't buy the combo In synthetic without a cantilever. but can buy just the slug gun in that configuration. stupid if you ask me, why cant I just buy what I want? idiots. were going to head out this weekend and either order or come home with a purchase. i'll just make a decision based on what I learn then if I haven't made one by then.

i'll either come home with that 930, order what I want in the 870, or buy a straight slug gun
Old January 19, 2015, 06:16 PM   #29
Doyle

Personally, I'd avoid the combo. I'd make the best deal on the shotgun I chose (whichever one suits you best) with a bird barrel. Then, I'd start watching Gunbroker for the right slug barrel. That way, you get the choice of barrels you happen to like - not what the factory decides they want to sell you. Used slug barrels are VERY available after deer season - and the price can be very good if you are patient.
Old January 19, 2015, 07:15 PM   #30
essonlaker

that's true, buying a slug gun and then a bird barrel could yield the same results as far as buying what I want.

even buying a new field or turkey barrel isn't that big of a deal, and I could try my hand at duck, turkey, skeet shooting or whatever else using my old man's full choke wingmaster. to know if I liked such activity, warranting the purchase of another barrel.

going the slug barrel only route I may go for the Winchester SXP, trying to not get caught up in brands and basing the decision more on how much I like it on my shoulder. all models I've looked into have many good and a few bad reviews. all appear to be a decent product.
Old January 19, 2015, 07:19 PM   #31
Doyle

My one caution in looking for a gun that you can swap barrels on is to know ahead of time what those barrels sell for (new or used). For example, Mossberg 500 barrels are very affordable. Remington 870 barrels are not so much but still not terrible. Winchester Barrels are starting to get up into the "pricey" category. Beretta/Browning barrels are up in the "Holy crap on a cracker!" category.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:40 PM   #32
idek

Quote:
Take a look at what happens if you use the wrong bolt when swapping a standard stock for tacticool stock. Too long a bolt ( a common mistake) crushes the aluminum, which ain't about to happen if it were steel. If you think an aluminum receiver will last as long as steel, I have a bridge to show you.
So you're saying if you're a negligent or stupid gun owner, you can damage an aluminum frame more easily. I agree with you. Use the gun the way it's meant to be used and use a little thought before torquing the wrong bolt into it, and it will last longer than the owner.

And it's not like Mossberg is the only company with aluminum alloy receivers. Virtually any lightweight shotgun uses an aluminum alloy receiver, including the Benelli Super Black Eagle II and M2, the Winchester SX3, the Beretta A400, and Browning's Maxus and lightweight Citori models. These aren't exactly disposable shotguns.

Last edited by idek; January 19, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:08 PM   #33
essonlaker

oh I will be that's for sure. I know a slug barrel for my dads Wingmaster is 200 something bucks. that's why I want a combo. that's a good pointer as I really like the SXP but the Buck/ Bird combo has been discontinued for this year. but is available on their site now for SHOT show, so I will look into that. I imagine Weatherby barrels are fairly pricey as well.

My brothers thinking of a scope because he's decent with my dads old Lee Enfield which has a scope, and he's wicked with his Barnett Quad 400, so a scope is a good fit for him. (the outfitter I've been going to just put cables in that Barnett, VERY quality work and they were upfront, and the bow works wicked now, so these guys are decent folk. no convictions about buying from them whatsoever).
but when I sighted in that 30-30 I used this year the paper on the target tore in a way that I may have stacked bullets at 50 yards (that's all you need to sight for in the northern Ontario bush). and placed the 3rd round an inch out. so I can aim true with sights for most shots at deer. So I'm going with sights.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:13 PM   #34
essonlaker

And it's not like Mossberg is the only company with aluminum alloy receivers. Virtually any lightweight shotgun uses an aluminum alloy receiver, including the Benelli Super Black Eagle II and M2, the Winchester SX3, the Beretta A400, and Browning's Maxus and lightweight Citori models. These aren't exactly disposable shotguns.

i agree with this and is why I decided the aluminum wasn't a problem. the lightweight is a good thing. all modern guns are good for thousands of rounds if taken care of properly.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:34 PM   #35
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I never said there isn't a place for an aluminum receiver. My point is steel will outlast it. You missed the new Benelli o/u just announced today. Aluminum receiver with steel trunions. Some prefer the benefit of a lighter weight over durability. I would add that well designed and precisely machined alloy receivers will sustain less wear. Then there are different alloys referred to as "aluminum". I don't know that anyone uses a pure aluminum receiver. So they?

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; January 19, 2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 01:33 AM   #36
Water-Man

I have a Remington 870 Express Combo. It came with an 26" vent rib Mod. choke and a 20" fully rifled deer barrel.

I've been very happy with it.
Old January 20, 2015, 08:01 PM   #37
essonlaker

id imagine they are made of alloys made to wear well, but be lightweight.

thanks for the feedback Water-Man that's exactly the package im considering if I can buy it in synthetic with rifle sights. but im thinking of a scope as well now too, Im coming home with a gun this Saturday, I will shoulder all my prospects and buy whatever I decide I like best. im going to stop by and check out the weatherby PA-08 for myself, my brother has already decided that's what he's buying. and buying a red dot sight or small scope for the cantilever. so I have to see that gun.
Old January 20, 2015, 11:39 PM   #38
Water-Man

OK. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old January 24, 2015, 09:42 PM   #39
essonlaker

We both picked up a PA-08 combo in synthetic today. Brother went with a red dot sight who's make/model escapes me. I also decided to go the cantilever route and mounted a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32. cleaned and oiled w/field barel mounted and ready to go shoot some trap at our local trap club tomorrow morning. will post how I like the gun after at least a box of Federal Field&Range tomorrow

The Weatherby feels real nice to me, as does the Bushnell so I just went with it. hope it works out. thanks for the feedback guys.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:53 PM   #40
Dreaming100Straight

Enjoy!
Old January 26, 2015, 07:16 PM   #41
essonlaker

so I guess I shouldn't have bought it from a large, corporate store.....

she wont cycle, there is a small dent on the magazine tube and the spring hangs up. the spring follower got caught while my dad and I were trying to work some oil down there, initially figuring the spring and tube just wanted some oil until the entire gun got nice and broke in. was told they don't do returns and I have to go through weatherby. the sporting goods manager wasn't in today but I will be speaking to him directly.

so I will be pursuing customer satisfaction however I have to, weatherby hasn't emailed me back yet.

im sure its just a bad gun. I will figure it out, my brothers is fine.

otherwise I like the way it shoots, fits me well and seems to shoot true, ejects properly and the action is nice and smooth.

the old man broke out his wingmaster and we tried our hands at trap. glad I got a combo as we found a new hobby, trap is great fun. we each did 2 rounds of 25, that club drops one in the pipe at a time so my gun worked fine for it, fired every single shell and ejected a box of Federal field and range and a box of my uncles reloads. was totally in love until we went out in the woods at our neighbors hobby farm and discovered it not cycling. but it fires Hornady SST's just as well and I love my scope.

if weatherby treats me well with this I will still recommend this gun honestly. all stuff isn't made as well as it was before my time so good customer service is important. will post back as to how I make out.
Old November 29, 2015, 09:00 PM   #42
essonlaker

just thought id post back as to how my experience went.

Weatherby took good care of me with this. Unfortunately I am a Canadian so the shop had to wait a month for the parts. but my gun came back with a new mag tube and it is now a beautiful gun for the price range. have shot numerous boxes of Challenger #9 target load without issue. Threw on a sling and hit the woods for deer season, didn't see a 1 deer but found the gun nice and light to carry. My brother shot a small 8 point buck with his, at a little over 100 yards.

really happy with my purchase. would recommend the Weatherby PA-08 slug gun combo to anyone.
Old November 30, 2015, 02:49 AM   #43
kcub

You might check CDNN. They sometimes have great deals.
Old December 2, 2015, 03:23 PM   #44
johnwilliamson062

LOL KCUB.

Great to hear about you experience. You should have a lot more hunting seasons to go, so I wouldn't worry about one dry year. Besides, your probably going to get some of your brothers Summer sausage.
Old December 2, 2015, 04:11 PM   #45
silverbullet6oh
Registration in progress

This was good info, and a good thread. Very positive feedback from everyone and the OP.

Glad to hear that Weatherby squared you away.

Congrats on the shotgun.