The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2005, 07:53 AM   #26
Eghad

all the fuss about hats indicates some people have too much idle time on thier hands....lol

NRA Life Member
Old September 8, 2005, 09:53 AM   #27
9mm1033

Quote:
If you have administrators who can't distinguish between officer safety and the time to wear a hat then it's not a hat issue, it's an administrator issue. You have a lot more problems in your dept than hats.
Amen. Unfortunately, the working street officer can only continue to sign the written reprimand. Hats on at all times will never change in my department. It's one of many internal problems within the ranks. One the average citizen will never know or understand.
Old September 9, 2005, 12:25 PM   #28
Rob P.

Quote:
A better question might be "Why have men stopped wearing hats?".

Look at any shot from the twenties or thirties (or even forties or fifties). The men wear hats. Now most don't. Why? And why should cops be different?
Men stopped wearing hats for a couple of reasons.

1. The state stopped providing hat racks in schools so male children had no place to hang their hat while in class (and we all KNOW that you don't wear a hat inside). Response: No hats in school.

2. Casual clothing. Casual clothing instead of suits or sportcoats meant that you didn't need a hat to complete your attire. Since most of us these days bum around in sweatshirts and sneakers we don't change our attitude about hats when wearing more formal attire.

Personally, I don't wear a hat. Rain or shine, hot or cold, I can't stand the reduction in vision. When my vision's blocked, I can't see the BG before he becomes an immediate problem.
Old September 10, 2005, 04:27 PM   #29
Teufelhunden

Quote:
When the Cop that pulled you over puts on his smokey the bear hat and then checks his reflection on his window before he approaches you = Your gonna have a bad day.
Been there, done that, got the citation.

THe captain (essentially the XO) of my department recently pitched a fit when he discovered the road patrol division wasn't routinely issuing covers anymore. His reason, however, was a little more enlightened than some others posted here: he wanted the road deputies to have the cover available as a tool to increase professional appearance if the deputies thought a little more visual ooomph was necessary. They're not required unless at formal occasions, but I agree that they do make the deputies easier to find in a crowd.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old September 10, 2005, 06:16 PM   #30
Bullrock

Capt.

Quote:
Who comes driving by? The (then) &$%# chief! Does he stop to help? Hell, no. Does he say, good job guys? Hell no. What did he say? "Where's your &%# hats, people?" We all got written reprimands
LMAO... Been there, worked for one, hated hats. And, up North where I live LEO's do not wear hats...
Old September 10, 2005, 09:06 PM   #31
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I've let this running in the hopes that sooner or later it might develop into something to do with Training and Tactics. With very few excepitons (like Capn' Charlie's), it hasn't.

Closed, OT.

Denny
Closed Thread