The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 1999, 04:44 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Is loaded ammo availabe and what about reloading supplies (brass), any ideas. What is the best bullet and powder to use in this rifle.

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited June 11, 1999).]
Old June 11, 1999, 10:50 AM   #2
Trapdoor Billy

Remington still loads it I'm pretty sure. Can get brass from Midway. I have had best luck with 220 & 180 round nose bullets. Any of the med bore powders will work.

[This message has been edited by Trapdoor Billy (edited June 11, 1999).]
Old June 17, 1999, 02:52 AM   #3
Gunfounder

what kind of rifle? Do you know the rifling twist rate,groove diameter?
For general plinking I use the cast, gas check bullets in 169 gr. Lyman mold 311291. Cast hard, size and lub to groove diameter. The powder I find most accurate is IMR4227.
My bullet of choice for hunting big game is the 180 gr. Spitzer type, does take a sight adjustment when going from round nose cast bullets to the jacketed spitzer. I use IMR 4895 powder to propel the spitzer bullets. This gives you fair down range ballestics to about 300 yds. In all honesty, seldom will you get a shot this far unless shooting from mountain to mountain.
If you cannot get 30-40 brass and have access to .303 British they work just fine after resizing and squaring the mouth,you may have to seat the bullet out some to get the overal length correct. The 30-40 case is nominally 2.314 and the .303 is 2.222.
The rifle I now use is a Browning 1895 model.
The same cast bullet loads work exceptionally well in the military Krags, just check the bore diameter and size accordingly.

Note: For those of you that have a Winchester 1895 in 35 WCF, the .303 and 30-40 Krag brass can be used to get the old gun shooting again. Both cases are short so seat shallow, I was able to resurrect my grandfathers gun from the memory pile this way and took an elk with it two years ago.
Old June 17, 1999, 01:45 PM   #4
Colduglandon

Its a US Krag from the Springfield Amory. Sporterized and heat treated in the 1920's. Friend has it, we found some brass locally from someone that collects these rifles. Got a set of dies with it. The action is so smooth. Its like butter.

------------------
Paul M

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited June 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited June 17, 1999).]