The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1
learningcurve

Glock 19 Question

Hello to everyone, first off I wanted to say thank you ahead of time for any help you can offer me in the future. It will always be appreciated. I am new to reloading I have done around 75 .223 rounds around 100 .380 acp about 25 .45 acp and shot them all, loved that feeling of shooting what I had made. I shot better groups as well with them all. Now having said all that I move on to my question.

I have a Glock 19 which is a 9mm obviously, that I have reloaded about 15 lead rounds for. I am not 100% sure but I believe it is called a SWC round or a flat nose, they have the cone from the RN boolit but have the Flat top. So I was thinking no big deal on shooting lead through the Glock as I have done it to both my S&W guns. I had no leading or any other issues that I had read so much to be on the lookout for, then last night I read that glocks can and most likely will blow apart if you shoot lead through them. I was reading this on a post for a G22 which I know is a .40 cal however they didnt seem to make it sound as if this was a issue for that specific cal/gun combo or all across the board. So is it safe to shoot lead through the G19 or should I just go ahead and by the FMJ rounds and call them good.

If it makes any difference I got the lead rounds for the 9mm by chance I had to use my store credit up before it expired and that was all they had in stock at the time. So its not as if it was something i made up and lost the material for.

One last thing and I apologize for the long post but if I cant shoot them through the 9mm would it be possible or even smart to use them on the 380. The lead 9mm is a 125 grain and the 380 is a 95 grain round. I didnt know if it was possible for just plinking rounds. Thank you again and sorry it was such a long initial post, This is such a addicting hobby.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Crankgrinder

Others will likely concur that as stated in the glock manual i believe, the polygonal style rifling is said to not lend itself well to lead bullets as does cut rifling. Theoreticaly, lead boolits leave small deposits of lead that build up inside shot after shot, too much of this leads to an obstruction, skyrockets chamber pressure thus blowing up the gun "kaboom". Many have shot plenty lead through factory barrel glocks say theyve had no problem they mostly shoot 45s which operates @ roughly half that of 9mm and 40 smith. Waranty wise its not adviseable to shoot reloads at all much less lead bullets. Do so at your own risk. There are factory barrels suited for your purpose available for 150$ on up cost depending on where you look. That would be the most adviseable option. The load data i have for 380 is for 100 gr lead bullets and for 124 gr jacketed bullets. Not sure about loading it for 380.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
learningcurve

OK well then I will do the safe thing and get the FMJ rounds and either sell the lead I have now for it or save it and melt it down when and if i start making my own lead rounds for 380 or 45. Thank you for the response I have to go to the shop later this evening and will get them then. Thank you again. 20 buck for 200 FMJ are alot easier to explain to the wife then the whole new barrel.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Montana Outdoorsman

I have shot thousands of lead round nose bullets through my Glock 19 without issue. I'm shooting a 147gr LRN with 3.5 grs of Titegroup. I do occasionally clean my barrel with a lead removing cleaning solvent.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:57 AM   #5
BDS-THR

Perhaps these threads may help:

Glock 19 and lead bullets - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=650912

Glock 19 and ideal 9mm lead bullet weight - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=622682

Glock's hexagonal rifling vs traditional land/groove rifling - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...76#post8094876
Old May 22, 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
learningcurve

Well I appreciate it however do to work censorship I am unable to get to those links and I will have to look at them tonight. I have a guy who has a cheaper 9mm brand and was talking about letting me shoot them through that so it can get the rounds through it, I will go home this evening and read those links. Thank you for them I hope it clears up a bit of stuff.
Old May 22, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
eldorendo

I do a lot of 9mm reloading for my G17 and G26. Check out Precision Delta for good jacketed bullets @ a reasonable price. I just last night ordered 1000 124gr hollow points and 1000 124gr fmj bullets from them.

I don't shoot lead through anything, because I just don't like loading/handling lead. However, others have found that they can shoot HARD lead through their Glocks o.k., as long as they clean the barrels after every 200 rounds-or-so and keep the velocities down.

AS far as voiding your warranty by shooting reloads, unless the reload causes the problem, then your warranty is intact. I recently had a slide replaced on a G17 that I'd bought used and through which I'd fired over 10k of my reloads. The Glock tech never even asked if I'd been shooting reloads.

Last edited by eldorendo; May 25, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:01 PM   #8
arch308

I've only tried lead bullets once in my G21. Never again! They were some rounds I picked up at the gun show pretty cheap. It took alot of work to get the lead out of the barrel after just one box.
Like I said, never again.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #9
PawPaw

Quote:
They were some rounds I picked up at the gun show pretty cheap.
There's your problem right there. I wouldn't trust any "cheap gun show ammo" of any type.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 29, 2012, 04:52 PM   #10
gunsablazin

I shoot cast bullets in my G35 .40 all the time, but I use a Lone Wolf barrel. It has conventional rifling and a much tighter chamber with much more support for the case. At 100.00 I consider it cheap insurance. I use the stock barrel for when the pistol is used for HD, with factory HP ammo.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
rcw320

My first lead load for my G26 was: 125 Dardas lrn/3.8gr red dot/1.13.

I can put 250+ rounds throught it with no lead.

I've started bullet casting, and now use: Lee 120TC (sized to .356 with LLA)/3.5gr red dot/1.070.

No lead for this one either, and it costs me approx $2.50 a box.

I am thrilled with these loads, and my shooting has improved with me being able to practice much more often.

Summary: Shooting lead through a Glock poly bbl works for me, and saves lots of money.