The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 18, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1
l98ster

Looking for a J-Frame Holster???

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new Smith model 360 (j-frame). I plan to use this for my carry weapon, but am having a hard time choosing a holster.

Ultimately, I would like an OWB holster, right hand side, and leather. I have seen holsters that have a thumb break, and have seen holsters without any type of obvious retention. What should I go with???

Are the types without a thumb break a safe way of carrying? Would you recommend a pancake type of something else. What manufacturers are good for this type of thing. I would like to keepmy budget under $100.

Thanks
Old December 19, 2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Lots of choices out there. Personally I use a Galco FLETCH holster and it suits my needs perfectly. While it does have a thumb break, open top holsters will hold your gun just as well so long as you aren't performing gymnastics when packing.

I'd suggest looking at Galco, Bianchi, Don Hume, Desantis and or High Noon Holsters. All of them make good fair priced leather. You really can't go wrong with any of their holsters and there are a ton of other makers out there too.

As far as the first holster, buy one you like and stop sweating your decision. If this is your first carry you won't know what you like and what you don't until you try it for a bit.

I started as an IWB guy but eventaully found I liked OWB better and settled on Galco's FLETCH holsters for most of my carry pieces. It's trial and error however so what works for me might not work for you.

I would suggest that whatever you go with you'll need a good leather gun belt. In my opinion the gun belt is actually more important than the holster.

Check out thebeltman.net for a good belt selection.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
chris in va

PM sent.
Old December 20, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
gimike

Holster recommendation

Before making your final decision on a holster, check the maker's return policy. There are just as many great holster makers as there are bad, and many more in between. I prefer getting a holster that is specifically made for my gun. Durability, weapon protection, retention, and re-holstering are some of the "key" factors you may want to pay close attention to.

I would suggest doing a Google search for "custom Kydex holsters" and another for "custom leather holsters". Find a few models to research. Ask in the forums specifically about those models, and search for reviews on those models and their manufacturers. If you simply ask for a generic holster recommendation, you may get swamped with responses from the "I am pretending I don't work for xyz holster company shills".

The first holster I ever bought was on the recommendation of a forum member, (I now suspect he/she was a shill ) and I hated it. I did some research before I bought a second one, it paid off for me. Good luck with your search!
Old December 20, 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
lashlaroe

Quote:
Lots of choices out there. Personally I use a Galco FLETCH holster and it suits my needs perfectly. While it does have a thumb break, open top holsters will hold your gun just as well so long as you aren't performing gymnastics when packing.

I'd suggest looking at Galco, Bianchi, Don Hume, Desantis and or High Noon Holsters. All of them make good fair priced leather. You really can't go wrong with any of their holsters and there are a ton of other makers out there too.

As far as the first holster, buy one you like and stop sweating your decision. If this is your first carry you won't know what you like and what you don't until you try it for a bit.

I started as an IWB guy but eventaully found I liked OWB better and settled on Galco's FLETCH holsters for most of my carry pieces. It's trial and error however so what works for me might not work for you....
I believe this is the best advice, generally. I've just recently started daily carry myself and and going through the holster selection process. I am finding that what I originally thought would work best is just not what seems to be ideal. So, I'm still searching and trying.

Heck, it was much easier deciding what my carry arm would be!

It seems that everyone's situation, size, build, clothing style, work situation, etc...is different. These all affect what holster works best for you.

My opinion.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 25, 2010, 04:39 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk SERPA J-frame HighNoon Holsters Kramer...

I'd suggest the well made, kydex/polymer SERPA designs from www.Blackhawk.com .

Other good models include www.Miltsparks.com www.highnoonholsters.com www.donhume.com .

CF
Old December 25, 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
45Badger

Check out Side Guard-

http://sideguardholsters.com/

Small shop, quality work, reasonable prices, stands behind his product.