The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 9, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Hedley

Stevens 87A with Iver Johnson pad?

I picked up a Stevens model 87A rust bucket recently for less than $30 as a cheap dime-store .22 auto to tinker with. As far as I can tell, it has no serial number anywhere; Just a bunch of patent numbers on the reciever. Online searching has told me that finding an exact date of manufacture is impossible.
I detail stripped it, acid washed everything, applied some Oxpho Blue, and replaced the guide spring to get it looking and feedind pretty sharp. Last night when I started to work on the wood refinish, I noticed the buttplate had "Iver Johnson" molded into it, with the owl head emblem. I'm not familiar with that manufacturer or if they farm out parts to other manufacturers, but I have seen Johnson shotguns before. Can anyone tell what the story is behind that and if it's just a well-fitting bubba-job?
Thank you,
Hedley

here she is the day I brought her home
Old August 10, 2006, 10:26 AM   #2
RJay

Iver Johnson was one of the largest handgun manufactures in the world. ( note I said was, Iver John is no more). Your butt plate is a replacement, Iver Johnson had nothing to do with Stevens, Stevens is part of Savage.
Old August 11, 2006, 03:34 PM   #3
SIGSHR

I second what Rjay said, I have two of these Savage-Stevens-Springfields
(one doesn't even have a manufacturer's name on it.), my first one came with a fairly thick rubber recoil pad marked "Red Duck-Chicago, Ill. A previous
owner must have had a glass shoulder. The second has a factory recoil plate.
Old October 8, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
LightningCrash

I have one of these as well, it's not a bad shooter. From what I gather these were made post-WW2, but specifics are pretty much impossible to come by.
Stevens/Springfield/Savage all made these at one point or another. My dad got mine for $20 many years ago. Street value seems to be $50-100 right now, and they're not bad for going after small varmints.
Old October 8, 2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Hawg

I got my 87B for 15 bucks but the bolt spring was weak. Replaced it with one out of a Ford C-4 transmission valve body. Works fine and has for the last 25 years. Mine had a steel Winchester buttplate on it when I got it. It now has a plastic Marlin plate. I think the original buttplates must have been prone to breaking.
Old October 9, 2007, 04:59 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the spring from a Ford transmission will make those POS's work, it is the only thing that will. They are the worst .22 semi-auto ever made, anywhere at any time. A person who has one that works is lucky but if it stops working don't even bother trying to fix it, you will end up in the local looney bin.

Unless you buy that transmission.

Jim
Old October 9, 2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Hawg

I like mine. It's accurate and with the long barrel fairly quiet. It does gum up the action more than any other auto I've ever had no matter what I feed it. When it gets really dirty it'll hang up once in awhile but I can't complain, not for what I've got in it. The spring didn't even cost me anything.