Old May 2, 2001, 09:46 PM   #1
Zorro

Its Hunting and Fishing Combined!

Chicken Fishing!

Old May 2, 2001, 10:47 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Barbless hook, I prsume?

Or, is this the Ferocious Feral Chicken which is known to terrorize entire neighborhoods of Soccer Moms?

, Art
Old May 3, 2001, 10:35 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

I thought this was going to be a thread about crabbing. Chicken liver on a string=chicken fishing!
Old May 3, 2001, 11:28 AM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Kinda looks like gumbo on the hoof to me! Lets see wine(for the cook), reaux, wine (for the cook), onions, wine(for the cook), bell pepper, wine(for the cook), salt, wine(for the cook), seasonings, wine (for the cook), rice, wine (for the cook). Cook well while sipping wine, cook rice while sipping wine, serve chicken gumbo over rice, cooks head falls into bowl !
Old May 3, 2001, 03:39 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Q: How does a Coona-- make coffee?

A: First, make a reaux.

, Art
Old May 3, 2001, 06:02 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Old May 3, 2001, 09:11 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hmm. Reminds me of fly fishing for cats and "how to make your neighbors cat go nuts". The first uses a piece of yarn on the end of the leader, the second uses a laser pointer..

Giz
Old May 4, 2001, 12:08 AM   #8
Zorro

Well I use 100 pound test on a big salt rod and fish for Labrador Retrievers with a Frisbee lure.

Never need hooks they just wont let go of the frisbee!

Old May 5, 2001, 12:11 PM   #9
CD1

I have a rubber weight I use for casting practice, just tie in on in place of a hook and it replicates the weight of a lure. The first time I ever used it, my dog freaked out and began chasing the rubber weight as it was slung downrange from my baitcaster. I was laughing so hard that I let him chase it all night, he'd try to catch it all the way back as I reeled it in. He caught it once or twice and it was kind of fun having a 30 pound dog take the line from my reel. It was all fun and games until the first time I took him fishing. First cast...the spinner bait went in the creek...followed by the dog, and this dog hates water. I had to take him home and then come back to finish my fishing.
Old May 5, 2001, 03:40 PM   #10
Zorro

CD1 so he is now a Trout Retriever?

Old May 5, 2001, 06:49 PM   #11
CD1

Zorro,

You could be on to something. That brings up a topic we discussed during duck season. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, maybe it was the coffee, but I had a brilliant idea...I would train monkeys to retrieve ducks. Now, it wouldnt go over real well at first in the Arkansas delta if I got out of my truck with a shotgun and a monkey, but think about it. Monkeys can communicate with sign language (although I might not want to hear their thoughts on getting into the 33 degree water to chase my ducks), they are fast, they could easily pick up TWO birds at once, I might even teach one to take my truck to town to get lunch. I see a lot of potential here. Footnote: We hunt rice fields, so no swimming is necessary.
Old May 9, 2001, 04:21 PM   #12
Bud1

CD1:

I like your idea. I do more goose hunting than duck hunting, and would pay cash money to watch a fight between a winged Canada goose and a spider monkey!
Old May 9, 2001, 06:53 PM   #13
Bud Helms

Schmit

Gunny, 'You gettin' all this?
Old May 9, 2001, 07:30 PM   #14
CD1

Bud1,

For Goose hunting we could use an Orangutan, the extra size would make him more able to handle an angry Canadian (goose that is). I can see him responding to verbal commands....Left turn Clyde!! I smell a patent in the works here.
Old May 9, 2001, 10:06 PM   #15
OkieGentleman

I caught a duck once. The greedy sucker came up and snatched the baited hook right out of my hand. Talk about having a mess, did you ever see a duck try and fly off while you tried to reel him in? I finally got mad and cut the line, about 10 people that were there took out after it and finally caught it and removed the hook. I almost felt bad about not joining them, but I figured with that many chasing him they did not need my help.
Old May 10, 2001, 08:13 AM   #16
Bud Helms

An Owl ...

An uncle of mine was bass fishing with a jointed Rapala casting lure when it was attacked by an owl! He started to reel it in and got it close to the boat (with some difficulty) before he realized his dilemna. The owl spotted the boat and was struggling to get to it. My uncle handed the rod'n'reel to me and cranked the motor up real quick, took the rod'n'reel back and punched the throttle on that 25. Off we took down the river ... this was the Chipola River in Fla. My uncle would get as close as he could to a stump or tree, holding the rod out so the owl would catch the obstruction as we went by. As much as I wanted to watch the owl, all I could do was keep my eyes ahead and scream, "You're gonna HIT!" about every 6 seconds, while I was strapping on a life jacket and wishing for a helmet!

After a couple of minutes, and bouncing off several large stumps, he slowed to a stop. His rod tip was shredded and the owl was gone. I don't think it could have possibly survived and in later years (like now) I feel sorry for its predicament. But at the time it was pretty exciting. Damn owl came outta nowhere too!

Uncle JD had had enough fishing at that point. So we took off for the landing. At that point I reached down and pulled up a shredded anchor rope! In our haste we had forgotten to pull up the anchor and had left it on the river bottom.
Old May 11, 2001, 11:22 PM   #17
Zorro

Well I caught a small alligator once about a 4 footer.

We got it about an arm length from the boat and cut the line.

I'm not The Crocodile Hunter so handling a pissed off alligator is just not a skill on my resume.

Old May 12, 2001, 12:37 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ah, the Chipola River! Tupelo honey country!

Way back when the Lord and I were a lot younger, I was with a fella fishing in the bay at Sarasota, Florida. He snagged a stump. He kept working along the shore to get a different angle to pull free. Trouble was, the stump kept moving. It was pure, burnin' Hades to get the hook out of that octopus!

, Art
Old May 13, 2001, 07:47 PM   #19
MAD DOG

Once, I accidentally caught a large feral goose at the local lake. I was reeling in my lure when a swimming goose grabbed it and took off.
GOOSE ON!
I wanted my five dollar lure back, and the goose wanted to stay in the lake. He put up a hell of a fight.
The Game Warden stood there and watched while I landed the irate bird, then told me that I had to release it because it wasn't goose season...